Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Allen, Wow, sounds like you are dealing with a high volume of grading each week. That can be tough. It's also tough when our organizations don't give us the flexibility we need to test in streamlined formats. You might talk to your administration about your needs and ideas on alternative methods of tests and grading. You never know if they will be open if you use the right approach.

Dr. Melissa Read

Fortunately for me the school I teach at uses starQuiz (not Quiz Star) as its testing format. We are mandated to use multiple choice questions, minimizing true/false types. We are not permitted to use the essay format as the tests are 100% computer graded and essay/short answer questions must be literally verbatim with no spelling errors or the computer will score it incorrectly, not very effective or useful especially in time management.

When doing multiple-choice tests, I have always placed the answers so that I could grade several tests at a time; however, I have always dreaded grading essay tests. Now, after taking this course, I will have students underline the main points of answers to save time. It will make grading so much easier!

Betty, Excellent new approach! I hope it works well for you. Yes, at a guess, grading is going to be so much easier. You may even be able to grade several exams at once using this method.

Dr. Melissa Read

At our school Instructors do not have control over the test, quizzes or homework. Everything is already created for us. It is a matter of coming up with classes that follow all assignments and tests. This has its pros and cons. We don't have to take the time to come up with the course materials, but on the other hand we grade everything by hand. Every different type of homework and test is used through out one course. We use multiple choice, true/false, matching, short answer, and essays. None of it computerized. It takes a massive amount of time to grade assignments. If I do not keep on schedule I can fall weeks behind. Time management is key. Although I consider myself pretty good at it I am sure I could do better.

i share a classroom with another teacher and we will be using these tools to help us organize all the paper work and supplies for the two different classes

I will make a answer key for each quiz we run in Screaming Eagle and Early Model. That way I can grade more efficiantly in the future

Every homework assignment does not have to be graded! The students should realize that the purpose of the homework is to review/reinforce the text or lecture material. It is up to them to get as much out of it as possible. I frequently use a "completion" grade for homework. If it's done and in on time, they get a grade (complete). If not, they don't. Then we can go over it in class.

In the school where I teach, 95% of test questions are multiple choice, and we use scantrons, so it is very easy to grade and record.However, the instances when the students have to select "all that apply", or short answer questions, are the times when I really have to spend time grading the tests.
I taught in another school where most of the tests are administered online where they are graded and analyzed for the instructors and test results published for the students to learn their scores immediately after each test. The instructor programs the test to be accessed only during a limited time frame.

Esperanza, Interesting to hear about your experiences. Perhaps some of them could be shared with your current administration. Online testing and grading can save so much time for all faculty involved.

Dr. Melissa Read

I currently use a scantron type of form with my tests. I do find that grading the essay portion can take some time because you have to read what each person writes. In the future, I will have them underline the main point so that I can focus on those first and then if I need clarification, I can read the additional written work.

I have to admit, as a computer instructor, 9 times out of 10 all my assignments and projects are on the computer which helps with the grading process. I do have a few essay elements to my tests, but for the most part my classwork is all performance based. Pearson has a program called MyITLab and it’s great because students can log onto it and the program simulates computer tasks for them to complete.

I teach an online class which has pre-set exams and homework so my flexibility is limited. However, I like the idea of asking students to highlight key phrases and words.

I agree with Jessica, this type of instructional format can be both positive and negative. I also spend a majority of my time grading and not interacting with students which is rather sad.

I am very interested in finding ways to get students to read all of the instructions before submitting their work. Do you have any suggestions for this? I understand from talking with other teachers that failure to properly follow instructions is an issue from elementary school through college. At least I know I am not alone!

Leticia, You are definitely not alone. Reading instructions is critically important for student success, yet it seems to be a big challenge. I once knew of an instructor who would require his students to re-articulate the test instructions in their own words as a first question on exams. This motivated the students to really tune in to what was being asked of them and to internalize it in their own language.

Dr. Melissa Read

Most of my exams are multiple choice, fill in the blanks and short answer type questions. I also utilize online exams which actually does benefit me on ease on administration of the exam and grading the said tests. They actually cut my grading time which leaves me more time to do other work.

I took a testing course in college so I have a good understanding about the pros and cons of testing formats. The bulk of my tests are multiple choice with a few short answer questions. There are also competencies that I use for the hands on portion of the class which provide an on the spot pass or fail. However, they do have projects that can be time-consuming to grade. I might break the project into sections and have them turn the sections in at different times so I am not stuck at the end of the term with a pile of projects to go through.

Exams are on scantrons, so they're streamlined. Grading homework in class by students exchanging assignments is something I will try. I think it will be a valuable timesaver for me.

I used to spend a great deal of time grading exams and homework. It was very fustrating and time consuming. We began using an online gradebook that had a lot of functionality that we were not putting to use. So after a little research into these functions, I put some downtime to good use. Since I teach the same courses over and over again, and the assignments remain the same, I entered all of the homeworks assignments that could be done online into the site. The gradebook automatically grades them for me and all I have to do is transfer the information to the appropriate student with a simple click of the mouse. Also, all of my exams are multiple choice and on scantrons, which makes grading a breeze! All I have to do is swipe the answer key and the scoring sheet, then record the grade in the online gradebook. Saved my tons of time!

I am glad I got into this module as our college is emplementing Black Board into our teaching, I have not had a chance to get into it but I am now looking forward to it. It is also nice to have the websites that were made available to retrieve information. I also just gave a new instructor all of my study guides, hand outs, quizes and tests to help her out.

Our location has recently implemented Moodle as our online platform. I have spent at least 60 hours in the last 2 months on the Grading and Homework process. All students now have their Quiz, Homework, Labs, and Lesson Plans for access at all times. This has streamlined the process of distributing the materials to the students. Each Lecture starts with all materials available to them and more importantly, are there any problems with the understanding of what is expected of them. With the Lesson Plan online, any students who miss a class have all materials that they need. I have had very few questions now on what is expected. I encourage everyone to find a system like this.

Sign In to comment