Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

you should be organized in grading tests

i will have my students write the answer to the side of the question

we use scantrons for all exams, but I will let them grade each others homework in class.

As an on-line instructor I know it is very important to give my students the experience commensurate with face to face instruction. Although I assign APA formatted papers and essay exams, the effort is well worth it.
My students have often reported that they feel they have gleaned as much from my on-line classes as a live face to face class. I believe an on-line instructor has to provide more effort in order to achieve the same objectives since that face to face interaction is lost.

My tests are fairly well streamlined. I will however try to format the short answer questions to instruct a student to highlight what they feel are the key points in their answer.

I don't anticipate changing my grading format at all. I teach a MS Office applications course. My students first do the chapter project together; with me stepping through it on the projector. This not usually a graded item because we did it together. They then do the lab individually. This is a graded item which I grade by hand so that I can identify problem areas that might require additional time. They then take a task based quiz which is graded by the computer. I think I have a pretty good mix of grading by hand and electronic grading. I do not however use an online grading system that is available to the students, but thanks to the information in this course I will begin using it very soon.

agree!! this will save us so much time!!

I love the idea of highlighting their essays and going over the homework collectively. Great time savers.

Abstracting from op reports is very critical as well as selecting the proper code. Having the students highlight the words they need to code correctly shows they are understanding the process of abstracting.

I won't format them very differently at all. We are given grading formats and testing formats with homework assignments from corporate. there can be no deveiation. there are 17 schools and they must all be in allignment. I cannot change days or sequences. I must teach as I am told.

That's a tough place to be Ward. When administrations have standard grading formats, there are benefits and setbacks. If you see big opportunities for improvement, don't be afraid to escalate them to your administration.

My tests and homework are skills based. I haven't found an easy way to grade most of it. Checking a full size pattern draft for mistakes is time consuming but I don't see a way around it.

I really like the idea of underlining essay answers and having the answers on the side of the question instead of underneath. I am going to try to integrate both of these into my homework and exams.

As a Clinical instructor, i had a hard time constructing tests and quizzes to my students due to lack of time. knowing these online programs that make quizzes quickly is really beneficial and will greatly help my students. It will certainly save my time by just modifying these questions according to our objectives for the term.

Excellent to hear Keegan! Do try to integrate this for both homework and exam style grading. You'll be absolutely amazed at how much faster you are with grading. Additionally, your students will learn to focus on providing correct, clear and concise answers!

We just implemented this in our scholl and I am very excited about trying it out.

Excellent! Would love to hear about how it goes Linda.

The school I'm at is the same way, I'll start looking for my window to throw out some ideas I'v learned in the module

For two of my classes, I already use the multiple choice format. This definitely saves time with grading. There are two other classes where their tests are done using essay. For these classes, I will consider using multiple choice, true/false, or another format to help save time with grading. I will also look into using technology (online resources) as it relates to homework assignments.

Excellent to hear Earl. Sounds like you've got a lot on track today. I think it's important to use customized exam formats for unique classes. A one size fits all approach is not always the best approach.

Sign In to comment