Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am basically following the recommendations set forth in this module for organization of materials.

Excellent to hear Janet! We'd love to hear more about what's working well for you.

When I make tests, I usually make two copies -- I use the program to produce two versions or I key them in Word and then sort sections of them in alphabetical order.

When I run the tests I run one version on pink paper and the other on yellow paper. When they are distributed to students it is easier to make sure no two students sitting next to each other have the same version of the test.

That way I know that all students are being tested over the same material, presented to them in the same manner.

ScanTron sheets can then be used for grading or if it is a word response type of exam, I have answer sheets they use. Then I can place my answer key next to their responses and check them much easier.

The next time I test over the same material I can either use the same tests or again sort them in a different manner.

Has worked for me for about 47 years.

Although I have used this strategy at other universities where I had more control over course development--currently I am an online instructor where our courses are pre-designed (Instructors do not have the option to revise any course tasks or give exams, etc). In fact, my courses do not have any exams! My students submit written work (many pages and each course consists of approx. 30 to 35 students), DBs that includes DB post and a min of 2 significant replies for each student, and PPTs so this module was not helpful to me as an online instructor. I am a bit disappointed because grading is very stressful for me with the time limit and the hours of reading each student’s written work. Although I could suggest students to highlight important areas within their written work--it is my belief that students would complain and my course policy would not be supported by the university’s policy. Nonetheless, I am going to suggest it at the next meeting…
We are given only 72 hours to review and grade each student’s work and we are required to provide significant and personalized feedback to each student. Then at the end of the course we are given less than 48 hours to review and grade the last task---it is very stressful so my hope was that this module would provide me with some helpful strategies which has not necessarily been the case for me in this module--

Depending on the type of exam and time alloted I will use student particpation

I wish we could find a way for less paperwork involved in grading.

I think as instructors we all have our own way and process of grading. I really like the section on Short answer format. I do incorporate that into the class. Where there really is only one answer.

Thanks for sharing Alexander and I agree. Short answer is great because it requires our students to remember important information. It also helps us grade quickly to save time.

Since I teach English composition classes, I am thankful that our school utilizes a website to check all essays for plagiarism. Although I still have to read and grade the essays, this eliminates one aspect that I previously had to check on my own. However, to streamline the correcting of other tests and assignments, I now have students email these to me to try to eliminate as much paper as possible. In addition, I use objective tests whenever possible.

Wow, sounds like a wonderful tool Paul. I'd love to learn more about this website and it's name. Could be helpful to many other instructors.

I operate within the confines of a defined curriculum. This has allowed me to develop tests that are short answer and limits my searching for answers within long answers. In addition, when I'm grading I look for the key words I need to see and underline them myself.

As an English instructor, I give quite a few essay exams during the term, which is often difficult to avoid. Often I have as many as 80 of these correct at one time. Having the students underline key points in their essays can help me streamline my grading in order to save time.

One way to format exams and homework assignments is to use auto-grading capabilities. This works especially well with objective type questions where auto feedback and scoring can be incorporated, this should drastically cut down on the amount of grading needed to be done.

I disagree with the idea of having students grade other student papers in the name of speed. What about FERPA? There is a privacy issue here.

I do like the idea of answers being off to the side and of underlining main ideas.

I am afraid that our students do not get enough essay questions in the name of efficiency. They need practice formulating their ideas as they will in the real world.

I like the idea about giving essay and having the student underline the answer with a highlighter, then I can see the their answer very clearly without trying to make out their writting.

So glad to hear Brenda! This is a wonderful time saving technique. Also, it focuses the student on producing the best answer so it's great for learning too.

For those courses where it's appropriate, I've been experimenting with software test banks and online test generators from the text publishers. (You have to be careful to review the questions before testing, because the publishers are not always 100% accurate in answering their own questions!) Other than that, though, they're a fabulous means of saving time in the grading process. Also, they're a great way to get test results back to the students as quickly as possible.

I feel that I currently do a good job at streamlining my grading process. All of my theory exams are either multiple choice or true/false. I often let the students switch homework to be graded.

I will have the class graded their own homework by letting the class grade each others. that way they will learn as they grade and then I can collect them and enter them in the grade book. I will change my essay test to a very limited bullet like format where they will list four or five premises instead of writing four or five premises in paragraph form.

I currently use the multiple choice, true/false, and fill in the blank exams. But one thing that I will not do is have the students write essays every class period. Grading those essays took away alot of time that I could have been using for another task.

Sign In to comment