Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using qualities of games in the classroom helps with learning and motivation as well as engagement. 

Gamification elements can increase student engagement. We have many tools to use, like XP, guilds, and boss battles. 

I have learned to use the gaming approch in teaching in my daily teaching. And increase more hands on activities.

We start every med-term class off with Kahoot!....my students love it.  They enjoy seeing who wins along with their own growth.

I have learned that the elements of gaming are easy to incorporate. I will modify a few of the things I am already doing to add gamification to my academic learning goals.

Knowing that 63% of homes have someone playing some form of a video game places an emphasis on the need to implement some characteristics into the classroom. Many of the traits characterized by gaming, i.e., problem solving, goals are in fact utilized in every and all lessons within the classroom. Others such as progress indicators, leveling and badges can be implemented and become a valued tool. Guilds and the boss battel can be utilized and implemented in most applications as an additional tool. Collectively outside of a syllabus, this provides individual tools for the educator to utilize and using their on individual platform for the betterment of both the educator and the students. 

During my MA program, I had a peer that loved board games, and utilized gamification principles before I even knew that was a thing. Since then, I have taught any composition classes, and gamification has always stayed in the back of my mind. I don't think that boss battles or badges are the way to go for composition classrooms, but I am very interested in Guild work. I think forcing students into a mini team, from the start of class, will help them reach out and support their peers more, along with holding each other accountable. 

I think that if it helps keeps students engaged in the subject matter then I'm all for it. Keeping their interest on topic and away from their phones is the biggest challenge we face as educators.

Sign In to comment