Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The only gamification I've used in the classroom was Kahoot and Jeopardy. This course has provided additional insight on how to implement additional types of gamification and how to appropriately set up the scoring. 

Currently use several different games to enable participation early on.  These are group based and entertain alot of open discussions.

Since the students we have for this course have 'grown up' with games, I think this is a great transition for them into the classroom, however, given the nature of the subject material I am struggling to see more than one or two activities where we can apply this methodology.  This has certainly helpled me to think about how gaming can be used.  I will add that it is perplexing to me why we have a new 'lexicon' with this, such as the word 'guild' when 'team' or 'teamwork' works well.  Since I am a huge  fan of the teamwork idea, I tend to want and prefer to use it!

Gamification can really engage students in the classroom (online or traditional). I just really have to think about the whole setup.

There was so much to learn about gamification that I never knew. My initial thoughts of gamification were nothing of what my mind actually thought it was. I like the different elements to gamification...leaderboards, XP, badges, joining guilds, leveling up. This is an awesome idea to implement into a classroom. So many kids an relate. Love the ideas, the challenges, the possible involvement in class. Awesome. 

What have you learned and how do you intend to apply it?   I REALLY like the Experience Points and plan to use them when I build my next class.  The students will earn minimal XP's for completing the assignment/ discussion board... yet if they add more creativity, external resources and application/ integration of concepts, they can earn more XP's... 1, 3, 5 or something along those lines.  I want there to be SOME way of motivating the students to ENJOY THE PROCESS instead of merely being concerned with grades.  

Your explanation of grades being something you are essentially "losing" from day one, compared with XP's being something you "gain" is very enlightening to me.  I MUCH prefer building towards what I want, instead of guarding against what I don't want.  

www.nursesempoweringhealth.com 

I've learned that playing a game is a lot like being a student in the classroom. I plan to give students more goals to work towards.

Gameification allows me to structure lessons in a way that will increase student buy in.

I run a choice based classroom at the high school level, but was unsure how to impliment choice at the middle school level.  I felt that this age group lacked the maturity and that I needed to focus on skill development.  Gamification in the classroom is the answer I have been searching for.   GAME ON.

Create challenges in the form of a game will also produce results, retention, application, real-world scenarios, student engagement, more class participation, and increase class enrollment. 

This "Gaming" approach is certainly unique and intriguing.  My adult ESL students aren't likely to play video games.  However, I plan to incorporate Badges into my instruction.  These Badges will be Perfect Attendance Certificates.

We often have these elements in activities already, but using the terminology can help students buy-in that their activity is a worthy quest.

I learned that activities can be thoughtful and fun and motivating at the same time, but it will take considerabnle effort on the part of the instructor to make it so.

Gamification helps the atmoosphere in the class, and makes learning fun for students. 

This has showed me new elements to implement during classtime. Leveling and leaderboards are just 2 of the elements that I will start using just based off of what I have learned. 

I have learned that there are a lot of ways to help engage with students and build on concepts with games and engaging with the students. Pulling the students together individually or as teams helps to engage them rather than lecturing at them day in and day out. 

I have learned that there is a theory of relating course matter to a game. This is a problem in what I teach as people could die if they do not take what they do seriouosly. Currently 1,000 more electricians die annually than law enforcement officers, so the last thing we need to do is impplement a gaming structure to our curriculum. I do see where it could be useful in gramar school or highschool though!

now I  will have fun using the Leveling up and appropriating points based on the experience system I learned about in this class.

Set goals are very important when it comes to gamification. 

It is important to understand where students are coming from.

Sign In to comment