Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being more of an active listening shows the students that you are willing to take the time to hear them out. Show them that you are interested in what they have to say. Allow them to finish, and provide them with input. 

It is imperative to communicate with the students every day. For example: I have called, emailed, and texted students on numerous times. Advising them to please ensure that you meet participation requirements and submits coursework on time and make sure to follow her schedule closely. 

Listening and being able to recognize body language is also key to be able to help and find solutions to help progress and reach goals. 

It is very important that we be active listeners for our students

Effective communication begins with effective listening.

In this module I learned different listening techniques, and not to be combative when I am actively listening.

A combative listener is someone who you don't want to have a conversation with, and who is not supporting you.

Make sure that all students understand that this type of communication is help based rather than corrective communication.

Being able to listen to a student and watch their cues is all part of being an active listener.

Effective communication in a classroom involves clear, respectful, and engaging interactions that support learning and understanding among students and between the teacher and students.

It is important we put everything aside when a student is talking to us so we can listen attentively but allow the student to finish talking before we respond. 

When a student comes to speak to you its important to set everything aside and focus on what theyre saying to make sure they feel heard.

Listening is not just listening, one has to do what you told them you would do. Focus on each student who wants a conversation with you or wants attention. It matters to them a lot.

Effective communication is about focusing on students and keeping an open mind. You can't be closed minded and you can't work on other things while the students are coming up to you.

We need to be respectful and engaging when interacting with students. If you have to talk to them about something negatively, like an advisement, we have to come back and help them through it and tell them how can I help you? If you don't then the student is going to think they have to do it on their own or the student will not put the time and effort in. 

We have to help them and turn their weaknesses into strengths basically, just like that interview question, "What are you weakness." 

We always need to keep an engaging attitude and be respectful when talking to them. 

I have learned that good communication depends on the quality of listening and responding  

Being an active listener is very important. I need to be more engaged when students are communicating with me.

I have learned that good communication depends on the quality of listening and responding  

I think it is important to be mindful of both verbal and non-verbal cues at all times. 

I will apply a mixture of active and passive listening. 

I have learned active learning is waiting for the other person to finish talking and ensuring you understand what the person said by summarizing the salient point before acting upon what has been said to you. I hope to develop active listening skill so I can improve upon my communication skills.

Sign In to comment