Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What you' re saying is...?

instructor/teaher can tend to talk over the student

Hi all

As an instructor, I've learned that  active listening skill is important because it confers both verbal and nonverbal cues to our student. It shows that we care to their concerns, comments, and questions.

be a good listener

There are many different forms of listening that effect a conversation or situation you or your students are in. 

Reply to Laurene Medina's post: Laurene I agree with you. Paraphrasing and summarizing shows empathy in the conversation. It gives a form of "I'm interested in what you are telling me feel" and want to assist the learner in the challenge or concern they may have. Must also make time to hear the learner out without felling rushed.

Listening to a person must be an active and engaged event. demonstrating that you are understanding their point by verbal or non verbal responses will make the speaker feel heard and understood.

As a father/teacher I have found that active listening isone of the most important things for me to focus on. I have started using the "tell me more technique at home and in the classroom and it is amazing to see what comes from that.

Attentive listening means:

-understanding the speaker

-non verbal communication shows the speaker how attentive the listener is

-encourage the speaker to talk

-avoid being overly friendly

-do not formulate arguments (combative listener)

To be an active listener you must respond so that the speaker knows that you are taking them seriously. 

It is very important to be a good listner.  There are many tools you can use to show you are listening.

Active and passive listening is great but being transparent with the learner is effective in resolving challenges

Reply to Steven Sinnott's post:agree

One of the most important tools of an instructor is active listening. 

When speaking with students we need to use full body listening and provide feedback as needed. When a poing is not clear we need to repeat back what we understood to get clarification. I personally will make it a point to slow down when having a conversation with a student to make sure I don't cut them off.

Seth

That ""Too much smiling can appear condescending and the student might get the impression he or she is not being taken seriously""

Be a listener who is not distracted. Avoid being a combative listener. 

As a teacher you gotta watch out for the non verbal ones. 

Effective communication is key in the classroom.

I agree in the importance of been a good listener. 

It is important that you create good listening habits that focus your atention on the speaker.

I agree. Active listening skills go a long way. Just be normal show a true interest int he conversation. 

Sign In to comment