Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As instructors we need to learn the individual needs of each student, intrinsict and extrinsic, encouragement at the wrigth time will help the student achive their goals

I have learned how to become a good listener even if some situations are out of my control.

This has been helpful to see the students  as learners with different backgrounds and experiences. In addiition, the importance to see the classroom from their perspective and how to make it a more inclusive environment for learning. 

It is exxtremely important to understand how student outside dynamics may effect their success in the classroom. Also, for adult learners there is the silent worry of being seen as a failure to other adult learners. 

The idea of knowing the student backgrounds, and what brought them here is a valuable asset. Knowing what support systems they have or we may be the only support they have, it will guide us to teach them in the right way. 

A very meaningful excercise: it validate the need to understand some of the challenges that may be present in today's classroom and also provided insight on how to overcome such challenges in realtime.

Ive learned the importance of seeing the classrrom/learning enviroment from the student's perspective.

Very helpful in understanding the students view on how they learn best and communication with changes.

I have learned the importance of using student's experiences to help enhance learning. As well, as working with the students to find ways that best cater to their learning needs. 

I learned to take more time get to know the students background so that I can offer the most assistance and motivate them to greatness. 

I have learned the characteristics of students and the considerations that need to be taken to promote a successful learning environment.  I appreciate the further review of the intrinsic and extrinsic students needs.  I will work to provide comfort, security, acceptance, approval, and recognition.  

Students come in various categories, I have learned that when you have to use group work, it will be better to have the older adult learners in a group of their own and the younger adult learners in their own groupas well. Also I have learned that when there are frustrations,as the instructor, I can help resolve them by sometimes bringing someone in from the appropriate department to address the iaaue.

That adult learners are unique in that they bring with them life experiences and knowledge to their learning modality

Each student has varying reasons why they learn or don't learn, just as adults do. However, they haven't quite learned how to deal with "life" as an  adult yet.  We need to keep those ideas in mind while we are presenting our material, assigning schoolwork, or giving a test.  There are many factors such as age, learning methods, resaon for attending class, etc. that we may have to break throug in order for them to be successful.  It is our job to continuously encourage them to keep moving forward.

I thought it reinforced the idea that everyone brings someting to the table.  Everyone has a story or experiene that others may be able to learn from.  Instructors should encourage students to share these experiences.

I like the videos from Harvard.  It is always critical to be prepared for the classes prior to teaching them and I like the idea of using students with experience to help reinforce the lessons.  

The suggestion to enter the learning space as a student to see what they see is powerful. Empathy is a huge part of the relationship building that should happen between instructors and students, and recognizing the many barriers and obstacles that students overcome in order to even arrive in your classroom is helpful framing for instructors.

having adult learners bring their real life experiences to disucussions is important. 

Teaching the adult learner comes with may factors to take into consideration. Their life experiences, their learning abilities, as well as their motivating factors of why they are taking your course. Most of the students that I've taught come wanting to learn and be successful in my class, unlike children. Education at this level is a choice and it comes with a price. Te price may be a promotion, social status among their peers, their self-esteem, along with the financial cost of their education.

The objectives of the student may differ.  Different age groups playa part and it is good to have people from different ages in the same group with one another.  

Sign In to comment