Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tammie,
It sure does. We need to bring passion for our field and enthusiasm for teaching about it to class each and every time we step into the classroom or lab.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When the students can see the instructors enthusiasm and passion for the course and the field, I think the students see that and can't wait to start working.

Melissa,
You hit upon the two key words--passion and enthusiasm. Both need to be present in the class if students are going to be engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Wow.............this is sooooooooooooo critical!! How could we expect to create a desire-to-learn in our classroom if we fail to exhibit true enthusiasm for the subject being taught? From my personal learning experience (during which I was known to nap occasionally) I know it is impossible. One instructor in a post said he was also an entertainer. I see it a little differently, in that I see myself as part-salesman. Through my sincere enthusiasm for the subject I hope to "sell" my class on the importance of learning it now so that they can apply it later in the real world.

If I am having a good time the students are having a good time. Enthusiasm is contagious and any learning situation can be successful with the right attitude.

Daniel,
Passion for your field and enthusiasm for teaching are two elements needed for teaching and learning success. Your comments are right on about needing to be a salesman of your content. You need to give your students reasons and applications of why they are being taught what they are and why they need to learn the material. When you do this you get a pay back from your students that makes all your work worth it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jeannie,
Attitude spreads just as you say. It is for sure if you are not excited about being in the classroom it is for sure that your students won't be either. We need to spread the positive when it comes to learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Instructor Enthusiasm means that the instructor wants to be in the classroom and that transmits to the student.

If an instructor loves what they are teaching and brings it to the classroom setting, the students see that joy and love. The passion for the subject will encourage the instructor to learn as much as possible for that topic and thus will be able to impart knowledge that may be extraneous, but beneficial to the class. The student will also see relevance to what is being taught, and will also have a personal connection to the material (knowing it effected the instructor gives it personal meaning).

Vice versa, if the instructor is not engaging or enthusiastic about the material, the students quickly become bored with the class. The student will quickly become less focused and find it hard to understand the material if the instructor stood in front of the class like Ben Stein in Ferris Buler's Day Off.

Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm. We show our students why it is important to learn what we teach.

I feel like as an instructor I want the students to know that I have personal knowledge of the course I am teaching. By showing enthusiasm in the subject, it lets students know that they have chosen a field they can get excited about and be proud of.

Elanor,
Well said. The Ben Stein scene is a favorite of mine due to the way this teacher presents the material in the most boring way possible. I have used this clip in my professional development workshops because it is done so well plus makes a very clear point. We need to have passion for our field and enthusiasm for teaching about it. Just as you say when we bring enthusiasm to the classroom it spreads and learning happens.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Donna,
Well said. Instructors need to have passion for their field and enthusiasm for teaching it. This is a winning combination for everyone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I feel that our enthusiasm as instructors is so important. Not only does it show that we know what we are teaching but it shows that we love what we are teaching and that speaks volumes to the students.

Keeping students focus is a great challenge,especially teaching straight theory. I try to involve students in the teaching process by hands on learning as much as possible.

Myrna,
It does say a lot. It is for sure that if we are not excited about being in the class our students won't be either.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Rose,
Yes it is a challenge. We instructors need to creative in our teaching approach so we can keep them engaged during these theory sharing times.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Instructor enthusiasm is very important in the student success. If a student feels that his/her teacher is a truly caring, passionate individual, the student will most likely be motivated to stay in class and learn.

Enthusiam is contagious!

Instructor enthusiasm influences student retention greatly. Many of us have probably experienced in our college days, a few instructors who had a very monotonous voice who droned on without taking a breath or varying their pitch or enthusiasm. Personally I remember coming up with any excuse not to go to class. I remember dreading going to class.
We also remember our favorite instructors who made learning fun and told stories while at the same time teaching us information. I was excited to go to class and was eager to learn from the instructor who seemed happy to be there and told stories in class to bring real world experiences into the classroom.

If the edutainment is done in the correct way, there is nothing wrong with making learning fun. I try to infuse humor in a part of every class I teach. I think I have a pretty decent sense of humor but I use humor and/or wit to enhance the students' experience. If the students are having fun and learning, what could be better? I believe it helps my students with their retention of the material (a mnemonic, if you will).

Jennifer,
Your last sentence says it all. If we have passion for our field and are excited about teach our content it will spread to our students. We need to come into each class prepared and ready to share so our students will know that they are being taught by a dedicated professional.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

May-Lin,
Thank you for sharing your college classroom experiences in your comments. They made me pause and think about my own college career and think about how much I enjoyed certain professors because I knew that he or she was going to share something valuable with me that day. On the other hand I had several professors that I think had died behind their desk but no body and bothered to check their pulse. Those were long and painful classes. It is so much more fun to be excited about teaching and sharing. This excitement spreads throughout the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment