Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor enthusiasm is a key to the students having fun in learning. If the learning environment is fun, the students will retain more of the material. If the instructor is having fun, the students will pick up on this and all will have fun learning.

Instructors set the tone of the classroom and students follow our lead. If we come to class late, fumble around with papers, complain about the traffic, and trudge through the materials, then the students will become disengaged. We need to take our jobs seriously and realize that these students are paying a lot of money for our instruction. Everyone has a bad day here and there, but we shouldn't show it. We should deliver lectures providing positive experiences and helpful advice while keeping the students involved with class discussions, etc. Being an enthusiastic instructor encourages students!

Stacy,
We need to bring our A game to class each time it meets. Your comments are right on target in terms of how we must be the learning leaders and maintain consistency for our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

the more interesting an instructor can make a subject the better the chance the students will learn the material. i use humor, rhymes and even silly little songs as a tool to help the students remember important information.

I truly think that if you love what your profession is that your students will be able to tell you love it and they will want to learn more.

Katelyn,
I agree. I like to listen to people that have a passion for their area. Combine passion with enthusiasm about teaching and you have a win win for students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I've been tolde that I like to tell stories. i plan to use this "skill" to maintin interest.

Tracey,
Stories are great ways to get students focused on the application of the content that has just been shared.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having a job that you love makes the difference. If students see that you are excited and happy to be there, they will feel the same. So when a student is having a bad day, they will remember your excitement and attend class.

Gary,

Instructor enthusiasm is the most important aspect of the learning environment. If the class environment is active, structured around fun and entertaining facts , it will help the student to retain the information easier and it will keep a very dynamic class pace where the student is eager an looking forward to the next class.

Jorge

Daisy,
This is so important. I think instructors need to bring passion for their field and enthusiasm for teaching to class each time it meets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jorge,
I agree. It is for sure that if the instructor is not excited about being in the class the students won't be either. We instructors need to bring our enthusiasm with us each time we meet the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When students see an instructor who is excited about a class they are more likely to be excited to be in their class. It helps build relationships with the students and they will talk amongst themselves so that their peers will be more likely to take your class based on positive feedback as well.

Richard,
Good point because enthusiasm for teaching and passion for one's field goes a long way in helping gain the respect and confidence of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think we need to strike a balance between entertaining and educating. I tend to lean more toward David’s point of view though. I believe being entertaining in the classroom does keep students engaged. However, a little entertainment goes a long way.

Although I believe we need to limit the amount of "entertainment" that happens in the classroom, I think that a enthusiastic approach is going to involve a little of this feel. I try to use stories of prior experiences, mistakes and situations to shed light on tips and tricks that will help my students succeed. Often times this is done in a way that is entertaining and funny yet drives the point home. Ultimately it doesn't bother me to deliver the information this way my only goal is for the students to remember the information that I am trying to deliver so they can use it successfully in the future. Each class is different, but all of the classes that I have taught have had a dynamic that allowed this technique to work and I was able to see some of the stories used to remember the point, tip or trick later in the lab setting.
Although we are not comedians, a lot of enthusiasm and a little entertainment can be helpful to get a point or subject across.

Don,
You raise a very good point and it is something that we educators need to remember as we do our instructional planning. Learning has to be the number one goal we strive for and from there the decisions on what activities reflects how we are going to approach the classroom.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jarred,
Thank you for these comments about how to establish yourself as a learning leader. Each of the elements you have discussed contribute to the overall successful learning process of students. Passion and enthusiasm are two elements needed by instructors for teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

An enthusiastic instructor creates an excitement within the classroom that becomes infectious to the students. An exciting classroom will create students to be more involved, ultimately delivering a better and more productive learning environment.

Sean,
I agree. Passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching about it helps to engage students in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment