Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As with any activity, there is a time and place for everything. I agree that we are often seen as "entertainers" as opposed to educators. Tone of voice and body language set the stage for the learning experience. Try and show students you are passionate about what you teach. Give examples of how you keep the information you relay fresh and relevant.

It helps keep the student enthusiastic about the leason. Your attitude will be infectious! Love what your doing and they will learn.

Margaret,
Instructors need to have passion for their field and content and be enthusiastic about teaching. By having both the stage is set for learning success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jamie,
Well said and so true. We all like to be around people that love what they are doing and are willing to share.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

How would you feel if the instructor moaned on about anything, the continual grind of non-emotional blathering would dull anyone's senses. The idea of teaching is to brighten the senses and instill knowledge and skills that the students can apply. If the instructor does not show enthusiasm in his/her instructional methods then half the battle is already lost. The attention for the material will get lost in the dullness of the lecture. If the instructor is animated and keeps the students involved they will be more likely to enjoy the learning process. If an individual does not enjoy what they are doing they most likely will not continue doing it. If a student does not like being in class they most likely will stop coming to class.

David,
Like the way you think. Thank you for these comments as they reflect how I think an instructor should approach the classroom. It is for sure that if we are not passionate about our content nor excited about teaching then our students will not be engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If the instructor does not show that he/she values the content of the course, students may begin to question its value as well. Enthusiasm doesn't mean wearing a clown suit, but it does mean mapping out real world connections from the topic to the learner's life, and showing not only that the information matters, but WHY it matters.
Donna

Donna,
Thank you for these good remarks about passion and enthusiasm. Both are needed by instructors if they are going to be able to engage their students and get them focused on the content of the course. We need to be excited about what we are teaching because we are helping to shape the future of our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If an instructor has enthusiasm, one will see that the class will too. I believe an active instructor will have active students. If you can be engaging day after day, students will learn so much more than just reading from a powerpoint.

Instructor enthusiam is extremely important. The student will better recieve the information if he or she sees that the material is interesting.

Hossai,
Right you are about enthusiasm. It is needed by instructors as they present their material. In addition, I like to see instructors that are passionate about their field and are excited about helping to prepare students to enter it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Its difficult sometimes to be enthused about class when many times you have to deal with students who are only killing time and others that you know want to learn.I try to remind them I worked full time and went to school just like them and I relize its not easy. But if they stick with it they will have a good paying job that will last a life time.

Teresa,
Passion for one's field as well as enthusiasm about teaching are two elements needed for teaching success. You are right about how we need to bring this to class each time it meets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

David,
You are right about some students just being there to mark time. I try to work with such students but in the end it is up to them if they are going to be successful. I enjoy my other students and try to bring my challenging students along. I will not let me challenging students take me out of my game because I am going to enjoy my other students and the success they have.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I feel that if students see your passion and enthusiasm it naturally draws them in. In my experience the students become more engaged in the subject matter and their participation raises dramatically. They want to become part of that excitement.

If students feel their instructor has passion for the subject it will motivate the students to follow suit.

I think the energy we put out is retunred to us. If we are teaching a class that we lack confidence in, students will pick up on this and it will make them unsure.

Dawn,
I agree. We need to bring both of these elements to our classes each time we meet with students. Enthusiasm spreads quickly so we need to "sell" our excitement about our field to your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Casey,
Right you are. It is for sure that if students perceive their instructor is just going through the motions they will in turn tune out in relation to that course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Kevin,
I think it is as well. Students catch on to our energy and make it a part of themselves. This is what makes teach a lot of fun. I love it when I know I have nailed it and I got my students all pumped up and excited as they exit the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment