Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students learn a lot from the behaviors and attitudes of those in authority postions. Therefore as the instructor, if you are not enthusiastic or engaged in the information you are teaching, they will feel the same way. Even just tone of voice in presenting material can effect how engaged a student is in listening. I have found it a challenge for myself to teach areas that I was disintersted in as a student, but try to look at it from another perspective to make sure my students do not feel the same way I did about the material.

Kathleen,
Good point about how instructors need to bring their A game to class each and every time it meets. You are right that if we are not excited about being in the classroom it is for sure the students won't be either.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I must have enthusiasm for the topic or the students will sense otherwise and seek other instruction.

Glenn,
Right you are. I am sure we all have had teachers that did not really want to be teaching the class. If we do not bring enthusiasm for teaching to class each time it meets then it is for sure our students won't be excited about learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Gary,
Yes. Sometimes I share news about new technologies. I was recently surprised to see one of my students purchase such a device and mention he learned about it from one of my lectures! It made me realize that the content that I deliver is being received.

Kevin,
What a great compliment to your educational leadership. Your students are placing value on what you tell them as evidenced by the purchase of the electronic device.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Well said Rich,

In today's world the "real-world" seems to offer less glitter than what's going in the fantasy world. For me, if I can connect emotionally with the students, the attention span lengthens...but this can be quite a challenge sometimes especially the more diverse students are.

By adding in commentary that is entertaining during class students tend to pay attention more, but I have notice they are more engaged when I am really excited or enthusiastic about the topic. My enthusiam is entertaining to them and makes the atmoshere lighter and easier to learn in at the same time.

I could not agree more. I try to make the information I give to them with an unbeat and enthusatic manner so that I can capture their attention and keep them involved. A good class laugh at topics is always fun and motivating. Several of my students have told me that they look forward to the lectures in my class because it is fun. That is what will keep them motivated and feel a part of a class

Joanna,
Teaching today involves a lot of effort to engage students. It is often call edutainment. This is why at times instructors are both informers and well as performers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Valaire,
There is nothing wrong with having fun in class. You are right about the shared laugh and the impact it has on learning. I am a big fan of using humor in the classroom so the students look forward to coming to class and learning in a setting that is enjoyable.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Oh it is a huge factor in the learning process. We need to keep the class engaged and entertained in our message but not so far as we are perceived as a clown. Ability to smile and make them smile while speaking about a process on how to turn in the weekly assignment will keep them more for lack of a better word awake. They will not be interested but will pay attention enough that they may remember how and when to do it.

Paul,
Like the way you explained the balance of instruction and engagement. This is how you will keep the attention of students while moving the course forward toward the stated goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If an instructor isn't enthusiastic about their career field, this may cause students to question whether or not they are making a good decision about the path they have chosen. A student who felt insecure and unsure of whether or not they had what it takes to go back to school may find the unenthusiastic instructor the excuse they need to drop out.

Dorothy,
Good point about how an instructor should approach the classroom. Passion for one's field is a must. Teaching about that field with enthusiasm is essential and the combination is a formula for success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Agreed! It is essential for the instructor to be enthusiastic, delivering the material in a relevant manner, for the adult learner to place value on the content. Each class has its own boundaries for how "entertaining" and dynamic the lesson should be. Lesson plans that enable the instructor to stay connected to the students will dramatically increase retention.

I just love what I do and I think that it shows to the students and my students are willing to learn but I must admit I teach a very intersting topic so it can be very easy to teach without the entaining aspect.

I also find ways to keep my classroom entertaining. It gives a little spark and out with the dullness of everyday class.

Maribeth,
So true. Passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching about it goes a long way in "selling" the course to students. We can have fun while we are sharing our content and our excitement will spread to our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Barbara,
This type of enthusiasm goes a long way in helping students to see why they have to learn certain things in a course. They see your passion and then they want to learn what makes you excited about what you are teaching.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment