Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rita,
Yes, they do. It is catching for sure so we need to bring that enthusiasm to class each and every time it meets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Paula,
For sure and we need to remember that each time we step in front of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think it makes all the difference. Since I teach math, I have students who hate being their on day one. However, because I am passionate about it and can see the day-to-day connections, I am able to translate that for the learners so they can share in that. If a teacher is excited about learning, it can be contagious.

It keeps the class interest.

Instructor enthusiasm most definitely influences student retention. An instructor needs to demonstrate enthusiasm for the topics and the program as a whole. If a student sees an instructor being jazzed up about a course that the students have deemed worthy to enroll for they already have gotten a reward and are far more likely to stay.
If an instructor is displaying burn-out or acting as if the topics are monotonous the student will pick up on it and not be motivated to come every day.

D,
What are some ways you do this?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jeffrey,
So true and so important if the instructor is going to connect with students. Passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching about it goes a long way in helping students to get excited and what is being taught. Thank you for making this good point.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe that instructor enthusiasm plays a key role in student retention. I share information about my work background and my passion for the subject from the first class meeting and encourage the student's to share their experiences as well.

Because I'M seen as an authority figure, my energy may make the students feel as though the material is worth listening to.

Martha,
I agree. Coming to class with passion for your field and enthusiasm for teaching about it goes a long in way in spreading excitement to students. This is one of the reasons teaching is so much fun. We get to talk about our passion and get paid to do it. This is a win win deal.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Mark,
Right you are. You are the learning leader and you value the content you are sharing. The result is students see that you do not take your content lightly but see it as a essential part of their education. Consequently they read your energy and it becomes a part of theirs as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When an instructor is enthusiastic about what he is teaching it makes the students enthusiastic about what they are learning. Students want to see that the instructor enjoys being an instructor and the material being taught.

Jennifer,
So true. Enthusiasm is catching so spread it around so your students will see your passion for your field and your excitement about getting to teach about it. They will catch the "fever" as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I've always subscribed to the belief that a great instructor can make you love any subject and a poor instructor can make you hate any subject. Instructor enthusiasm is the first requirement of a great instructor. I believe that effective teaching can be taught as long as the instructor has enthusiasm as a foundation. My goal in the classroom is to fuel my students curiosity and love of learning in general. For me, it is not enough for them to just learn the required material. I see the results of this philosophy when first generation college students are so inspired that they decide to continue their education even further than they originally planned. Curiosity and the delight of discovery are contagious. That is my goal with enthusiasm as the wind in my sails.

Susan,
I think you are right about the influence that an instructor's perspective, passion and zeal on the learning efforts of students. If we show that we are excited about having the opportunity to teach about our field student enthusiasm will be there. Learning will be fun, student engagement will be high and everyone will benefit from being in the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It effects it a great deal, but it is also a "two-way street" if I come in enthused and in a good mood students pick up on it and we are more likely to have a great, productive class and the inverse holds true. At the same time the attitude of the class can also negatively or positively affect me as the instructor. I try (and I would say succeed) most of the time in directing the class towards a more positive meeting, but no one's perfect and some days they will sway my mood one way or the other instead.

James,
You make a very good point about mood and how it impacts the learning environment in both directions. If there is something going on in the school that has the students in a negative mood it is tough to get them to lighten up when in your class. We need to try and get them engaged but it can be an effort. One thing that should be a constant is that the students know you are going to be upbeat and enthusiastic about your class. So even though they may not be in an upbeat mood they know you will so you have set an expectation for them for your class. Keep up the good work that you are doing in this effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I feel like students love seeing the enthusiasm. It shows them that you love not only teaching, but the profession that you chose and the career that you chose to teach to them. Nobody like to sit all day and listen to someone who is mono-tone and does not seem to like what they do. I try to add alot of dynamic to my presentations to keep the students engaged and interested. In return, the retain the material.

Jennifer,
Yes they do. Enthusiasm for teaching and passion for one's field helps to "sell" the value of the course to students. Excitement is catching so we need to bring it to class and spread it around.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I LOVE my job. Everyday I go to work, I look forward to the possibility of what will walk through that ER...it could be some exciting case or some strange case or even some boring case..but the not knowing makes it great. Dealing with critical cases and utilizing my skillset is also exciting to me. High level of nursing care requires a high skillset, being able to prioritize, multitask and remain neutral emotionally. Whenever I speak about cases I have seen or what skillset I was able to use in the "real world", students ALWAYS perk up...so when I feel that I am losing students due to the material I am teaching, the length of the class, or if it is a Friday and they all want out for the wekeend, I turn my class around by speaking about what happened in my job that week and how it is important to the topic at hand. I remember being taught by a instructor who was like me and I remember how much I liked the class....I also remember being taught by a instructor who seemed to dislike their job and never seemed happy about it. I only learned the bare minimum from that guy. I promised myself that I would never be that guy.

Sign In to comment