Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creative Problem Solving Through Analytical Thinking | Origin: ED116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Critical Thinking Processes and Applications --> Creative Problem Solving Through Analytical Thinking

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Reflective thinking is very helpful in the critical thinking process.

Wendy's approach reminds me of listening first as a way to "lead" as SNCC embodied (one commercial, one far deeper and profound, but the idea of reflection, listening, not having pre-conceived assumptions, similar). 

There are many types of intelligences. The best idea is using reflective thinking as part of the final analysis.

As an instructor, it is important for me to understand the various types of intelligence and seek to understand the types of intelligence that my students use so I can provide learning opportunities that tap into those types of intelligence to make their learnig more applicable.  I think emotional intelligence and reflective thinking go hand in hand: it's the ability to recognize that your thinking and assumptions aren't the only way to solve a problem.  It requires the humility to be willing to secure additional information from other sources before making a decision.  In the real world, it often requires that I seek the advice of other disciplines in the health profession to get a more holistic view of the problem and determine the best solution.  It requires looking at the same problem from multiple angles.

The critical thinking skills help in looking at each situation in depth, evaluating it and applying it as appropriate. Reflection helps in evaluating the available evidence, and to use judgment to choose the right steps to solve an issue or a problem. This information can be applied in academia to include reflection activities for students which will help in promoting the critical thinking and clinical judgment skills.

Knowing and having an appreciation for the many different types of intelligence is important as an instructor because we all come with a different set of tools, skills, and preferences. Some might be stronger in some areas than others but that is what makes the whole a better, more interesting entity. To me, it is the reflective intelligence that ties it all together. The ability to step back and reflect upon a situation, very important. 

I learned quite a bit regarding the composition of critical thinking. The creative critical thinking and reflective thought were very strong sections to end on, as well as emotional intelligence. It takes a lot of effort and practice to become a critical thinker, and the techniques suggested will be beneficial on both the instructor and students' parts. Instructors will learn how to adapt and prepare their students to think critically in the field, its a win-win!

The fluidity of intelligence enhances critical thinking

I'm amazed at how many of these topics we touch on in our Essentials for Success class.  The different types of intelligence and how knowing your strengths and weaknesses can help you approach a problem is heavily stressed in our class.  This course has definitely given me some new ideas on how to approach and emphasize this area, though!

Having and using emotional intelligence allows for social awareness and consideration for other's standpoints.

Reflection is an important habit to develop with your students. 

Reflecting either by yourself or with the instructor(s) is very important to do.

The emotional intelligence section really spoke to me as well as the section on reflection. It is important to be self-aware. 

Several types of intelligence goes into critical thinking.  One should stop and reflect on the process

It was interesting to see the seven types of intelligence listed and it makes sense that it's the combination of them that makes us unique and more (or less) able to be good problem solvers.  

"They just don't want to accept those answers so they call in hoping to get more palatable answers." - this reminds me of "people ask for an opinion hoping they can hear their own opinion but in a different voice."

Critical thinking has several aspects that we must emcompass all of them to the students. The creative critical thinking, reflective thinkingm and emotional intelligence all play a role as an educator. It takes a lot of effort and practice to become a critical thinker, and the techniques suggested will alwasy not only help the instructor, but ultimately the students' as well. As Instructors, we must learn how to adapt and prepare all different types of students, to enable them to be able to think critically in the field.

Reflective thinking may best be in the form or giving a survey for your class.

There are so many factors to consider when teaching your students. Reflective thinking is really important in helping the students to think before action. They must know how to internalize all information, so as an instructor we must know when to provide the best support to our students. 

IQ assessments are not always the most accurate form of testing.

Sign In to comment