Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I love active learning and this modules gave me some good ideas!

Be organized, be creative with what you have ,some things will work some won't...It's okay

Active learning is a great tactic to employ when used effectively. There are potential challenges with implementing active learning methods, however, if you minimize risk by starting with small, organized activities you can build upon them as time progresses. Students yield better results when engaged in active learning environments.

I use low risk active learning like brainstorming questions after a short lecture or a case study. Creating small case studies and having students try and problem solve helps them gain knowledge of the concepts and think like a nurse.

According to the lesson, continual analytic and critical thinking are required on the part of the instructor to deliver course content, just as these thinking patterns are necessary for students.

I will implement an outline for notes and ask that the students listen for 20 minutes first before discussion for notes. 

There is alot to be gained by active learning. Keeping the students active and engaging is definitely the way to go.

Active learning is preferred by adult students. It helps the students take some control over their learning process: it's less threatening for them, and they can use individual tasks in a group and learn on the same time. 

Identifying the barriers as well as Understanding the high risk risk and low risk activities play an inevitable role in the successful active learning and make it enjoyable.

Active learning can be very effective if it is planned properly and the objectives and relevance made clear to the students.

When implementing new methods, we should be simple and brief as the students learn more. 

Students have more control over what they're learning and are more motivated during active learning. 

Its important to remain flexible! Its also vital to teach your students they must be flexible because in real life they will have times when being flexible is a must. As Nurses we all must learn to improvise at some point or the other. In doing so we learn and teach others how to be proficient even in the face of adversary. 

I'm very excited for this portion of our modules, because it gives clear guidance and grounded encouragement for the implementation of active learning in our classrooms.

As a new instructor I am grateful to be learning these methods of active learning. That way I can incorporate them into my methods from the beginning instead of having to add them into an already set pattern of teaching. I will try to use the discussion method of lecturing each class and try to come up with creative ways to have my students use the information that we cover that day. This will help my student's to retain more of what they are learning.

Utilizing activities during teaching can help to implement active learning with your students.

Implementing active learning allows adult learners to approach problems in a familiar way. They are usually self directed and can approach learning from their respective learning styles. Properly implemented active learning gives adult learners clear expectations then allows them to critically and analytically think to make the required learning more permanent and relative to their specific career goals and life.

Mixing active and passive learning makes for a more well-rounded class and keeps students engaged. 

Comment on Tim Mitchell's post:  I have found that dividing the students into small groups and giving them an assignment to work on/problem solve and then share with the class has worked well. Sometimes the students don't discuss an important point, I've started summarizing the students report on the board and then adding additional information that they missed. 

I have not explored the lecture-discussion structure. I feel like this would be a very relevant strategy to help shift the learning from passive to active. 

Sign In to comment