Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delivering Course Content | Origin: ED101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Teaching Strategies --> Delivering Course Content

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Being mindful of different learning styles will help students to get more engaged to learn the subject better

Changing your teaching style to accommodate other learning styles is a key to success for every student. 

Delivering course content is an artform with several considerations, such as creating effective lesson plans, using various delivery methods, and reinforcing the days content upon completion of the class day. There are several ways of making course content engaging and memorable, but also consider the attention span.  According to the literature, it lasts approximately 15-18 minutes, we retain 25% of what we hear and retain 40% of what we read. Knowing this reminds us to mix our methodology to reach more students. 

I think developing strategies to become effective depends on the instructor but definitely needs to be catered to each cycle of classes. Notes and handouts to me seem like small actions to gain such progress in class success. 

Delivering course content effectively requires more than simply presenting information to students. I learned that instructors should organize information clearly, use different teaching methods, encourage participation, and connect the material to practical situations. Students may also learn in different ways, so it is important to explain concepts using examples and provide opportunities for questions and discussion.

As an MRI instructor, I plan to connect the material I teach to situations students will encounter in the clinical environment. For example, when discussing MRI safety, protocols, or image quality, I can use real clinical scenarios to help students understand why these concepts are important. I also want to encourage students to ask questions and participate so I can identify areas where they may need additional explanation.

To pay attention to the various learning styles of my students, and adjust my delivery method to make everyone feel included. To include demonstrations, examples, questions, etc. to allow students to grasp material through different means for improved retention.

Breaking down procedures into small incremental steps is an important part of memorization. When someone is explaining something to me that will take me over a series of days to complete, I without fail will not remember anything they said past the first several steps. I may figure it out but won't remember. This is something I will keep in mind when explaining long procedures to students. 

I learned a few new styles of delivery for course content. The idea of rotation was helpful as well. Also, the fact that all students learn differently reminds me to study the students and identify how they learn best. 

Being mindful of different learning styles, how long lectures and demonstrations should be to be effective. 

Different students will respond to different teaching styles.

delivery of material may need adjusting to different classes

In this course, I learned to take notes on what aspects of demonstrating skills went well and what students needed improvement on so that each subsequent demonstration and evaluation can go more smoothly.

We utilize a variety of delivery options for our courses, mainly because of the material we cover, and what is required for our students to obtain their Remote Pilot Certificates administered by the FAA.  All the delivery options described in this module are what we use currently, and it works well for us to apply these course delivery methods in a variety of ways to maximize our effectiveness in delivering our course content.

I have learned various course content strategies to help integrate in my class. 

In this lesson, I learn ways to be more organized with lectures and demostrations.

I've learned that preparation is key so it's important to go over your material so that the lecture runs smoothly.

I learned to break lectures to less than 15 minutes and reduce instructional steps to less than 7. This is helpful because the goal is for students to gain knowledge, even if in small increments.

Have different types of learning covered for your lecture and practice the lecture before starting your class. 

The most important point I took away from this module was that the average adult attention span is 10-15 minutes. I will use this information in the future by trying to divide my instruction into 10-15 minute chunks. 

Sign In to comment