Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning and Preparation | Origin: ED101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Teaching Strategies --> Planning and Preparation

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too. 

Proper planning is very important as it helps you to operate smoothly with minor errors. Keeping notes and ideas generally help to stay on task throughout a course.

I learned that planning and preparation are key to being a successful teacher. 

I learned that planning ahead and being prepared makes teaching a lot easier. It helps me stay organized, feel more confident, and make sure my students understand what I’m teaching.

Planning and being prepared helps the class run smoothly. It keeps everyone on the same page with expectations and prevents any confusion.

This lesson stressed the importance of planning. Two points that resonated with me where 1) come in early to mingle with the class to promote enthusiasm for the course, and 2) work backwards from the testing point to determine if the assessments reflect the learning objectives. These are excellent suggestions for new instructors such as myself. 

Planning and Prep is a must in almost every environment. I had something instilled early on in my life that has caused me to be an over planner/prepper. What I took away from this module is the fact that you can plan, plan and prep and there will be something that pops up that will cause an issue to arise. 

But the point to plan and prep is to minimize the issue should one arise. If you weren't planning and prepping then the issue becomes chaos.

Planning and preparation are important parts of being an effective instructor. I learned that being prepared involves more than simply knowing the material. An instructor should have clear learning objectives, organize the lesson in a logical way, prepare any necessary materials ahead of time, and consider how students will apply what they are learning.

As I begin teaching MRI, I plan to prepare my lessons in advance and connect classroom concepts to situations students may actually encounter in the clinical setting. Since MRI involves both technical knowledge and patient safety, I also want to use real world examples to help students understand why the material is important. Being organized and prepared will allow me to use class time effectively while also giving students a better learning experience.

Planning all aspects of the course ahead of time is beneficial not only to myself, but to my students as well. They will be able to see my preparedness, and feel as though their professor is professional; modeling behavior that I expect from them. Getting into habits like arriving to class early also gives the opportunity to know students on a personal level, and provide them a safe space to grow within the classroom through trust in me as their instructor.

Being prepared, knowing your institutions mission and vision, and aligning it to the course syllabus and the way that you will teach with ensure for successful instruction. 

Knowing the subject matter and preparing it for presentation will help to present it more comfortably and demonstrate to the students my understanding and enthusiasm for the subject matter.

Preparation for delivering course material will not only help you with instructing but also allow you to be more comfortable in your class with your students. Showing up early and being prepared is what I plan on doing to be successful. 

As a Pharmacy Technician Instructor and Extern Coordinator, I have found that using a checklist is an essential tool for staying organized and ensuring consistency in my daily responsibilities. A checklist helps me track important tasks such as attendance reporting, grade submissions, externship documentation, student communications, and compliance requirements. By following a checklist I can reduce the risk of overlooking critical information and ensure that all students are treated fairly and consistently.

Additionally, checklists promote accountability and efficiency. In a role that involves managing multiple students, classes, and externship site, having a structured process helps me prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and maintain accurate records. Using a checklist not only supports my own organization but also models professional workplace habits that students can adopt as they prepare for careers in pharmacy and other healthcare settings where attention to detail is essential for success.

Students will make snap judgements and the impressions we give, including using our syllabus to show expectations.  The way we present ourselves and lay out our courses has a real impact.

I appreciate the insight on how students view the syllabus. I intend to fall back on this learning when it's time for a syllabus to be created for my classes. 

That the syllabus is the lifeline to a successful course and setting the students up for success. 

The importance of proper planning and preparation is the keys to have a great start of the class.

Always make sure to be well prepared for classes. That is the best way to start on the right path with your students.

I learned the importance of coming to class early and having clear objectives to help the students understand what is expected of them.

Syllabus are crucial to help the students understand the expectations of the course and key outlines. 

Sign In to comment