Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Trends and Critical Application | Origin: ED134

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Literacy is Not an Option --> New Trends and Critical Application

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

We are excited to be able to use simulated environments available on-line to enhance learning and outcomes for our therapy students.  Simulated case studies allow students the opportunity to practice hands-on skills in a low risk environment, making learning those skills less intimidating and building confidence in applying those skills before using them in a real-life situation.

There are VR/IR electronic books, and I think adding these to the library collection will enchance learning. This medium can help students who are comfortable with print books bridge the gap between the print medium and the electronic medium. Using VR headsets along with books not only adds a cool factor, it is a vital resource in the health sciences: https://osf.io/xwv4s/ 

Literacy is an ongoing process, not limited to adult in higher education. Why it is conceieved in grammar school, it is not less important in adulthood. Technology may give additional pathways in help to realize it importance and help improve those skills that may have been lacking. Virtual reality give a new demension to aide in helping students to broaden those skill and inceptionalize their potential to enhance comprhension. 

I think that comprehensive literacy skills are no less important for the vocational or tech student than they are for the academic student. All students need to learn to think critically, problem solve efficiently, and create solutions to real-world problems. Newer and virtual technologies increase the complexity but also increase and improve access.

Comprehension can be obtained/gained through multiple strategies. It's up to us teachers to understand that not every student will comprehend something the first way it's taught. VR allows for students to get a more hands-on experience that wasn't available back in the day. This invention/technology can be used to open many students up to gain better comprehension. 

Literacy is life long learning.  Literacy is not just a subject are, but rather a collection of foundational skills.

I think the VR module was the most intersting element I learned about. I think it'd greatly benefit my field if there were simulations students could work with. We focus on a printing course in my program, and due to expenses, setting up an offset press for demonstrations wouldn't be cost effective, and its difficult for all students to engage when really only the press operator can get up close with the equipment. A simulation would be fantastic for this, and be much better for students to learn on their own time instead of trying to see around their peers at a press! I'd love to figure out how to make or access simulation materials like that.

I believe this module was probably the most interesting lesson. I think I already using this, in concept I guess. I use this for virtual field trips. There are other simulations that I would be interested in accessing, but that most have to be purchased. I teach finance and I know there are VR simulations available to further enhance the lesson for the students. 

I'm in a trade/vocational school and I'm excited re-examine my lessons with a new perspective.

Simulation exercises are valuable, but are difficult to reproduce in a realistic manner, so I have to remind my students that some simulations are purely academic.  I point out the goals of the exercise so everybody is on the same page.

Having the students enact with real clients or simulated situations is crucial to the progress and development of learner. 

It is important to use all forms of technology to reach your studens, including VR.

Literacy, even in the trades, is still important. In the school where I work we have the students turn in resumes and together we go through them and make them suitable for applying for a job. We let the students know that if they're resume is not very good via spelling errors and so on, it could effect them being selected or not.

Literacy in all areas of life, is important. Literacy, to be most effectively taught to adults, should be focused upon skills that they need for functioning in the workplace and society.

The introduction to VR and simulation is what I continue to find fascinating. We have had great success introducing simulation into the hospitality management classes. The amount of content and application of information these students can process in a much shorter time frame is astonishing. The simulation takes a massive amount of lecture and condenses it into applicable details.

VR Simulation, in addition to other forms class engagement, is a great way to promote learning within a new dimension, alongside webpages and other multimedia outlets. As instructors, we are often too rigid in our structure for student development. If we are able to break out of the mold and adapt the platforms as promoted through this course, we may have the ability to create new forms of engagement and a better learning outcomes as a result. 

I am feeling excited and intimidated by this section. The things that stick out to me and feel most relevant in my work are the parts about the evolving centrality of the "self" and the published self, and how that impacts collaboration and community work. I also appreciated the differentiation between multitasking and multidimensional communication (where we acknowledge and embrace the fact that in the modern world, information flows in multiple directions simultaneously and different users are interfacing with it simultaneously and asynchronously. 

Sign In to comment