Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Representation | Origin: ED133

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Universal Design for Learning --> Representation

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This module has provided me with some thoughtful ideas for providing class material in multiple ways to improve the perception of materials for all types of learners.  This might mean including descriptions in text, auditorily, and by providing pictures and diagrams to further enhance understanding and comprehension of new concepts.

Not only will presenting materials in various formats and contexts reach more individual learning styles, it will be more interesting and more engaging to the whole. Yes, it takes creativity and possibly more time, but the product delivered will be more comprehensive and more accessible. 

Reply to Mel Henderson's post: I agree, presenting materials in various formats and contexts reach more individual learning styles and lessons will also be more interesting and engaging. 

I'm always on the look out for ways to make my content and curriculum more accessible. It hadn't occured to me that semantic elements could be misinterpretted, and it's important to make sure your audience understands your message in graphic communications! I'll definitely be incorporating multiple prentation modalities in the future for my students, who I know have vastly different learning styles and backgrounds.

Assessment of student's diverse abilities to learn is essential. In this way instructors can represent diverse ways of presentation . Perception of students may also differ, hence, this gives the instructor time to evaluate if there is understanding by the students.

From this module, I have learned that presenting infomration in different modalities can enhance students' understanding. I am an ESL teacher who always corporate many visuals and sounds while teaching the lesson. However, I have never thought about other ways such as symbols and semantics representation. After learning about this, I will definitely be more aware of this content so that I can help my students understand the lesson.

Not only does it grant access to information, presenting materials in various formats covers more individual learning styles and lessons will also be more interesting and engaging. Ultimately, this will lead to better student outcomes.

Providing materials in multiple languages has many benefits. Not only does it improve accessibility for English language learners, it provides all students with the opportunity to be exposed to the content and vocabulary in multiple languages. This provides teachers with the chance to elevate bilingualism/multilinguilism as a valuable career skill. 

Using captions on pictures can be helpful.

In the diverse learning enviroment that we are workoing in it is really important to distinguish key vocabulary words and its meanings.

it is true that some common phares have /carry different meaniongs that can be confusing to the different language groups.

If possible it maybe be helful to use electronic devices to clarify and explain grammer to be clearly understood for student success.

It is important to be able to adapt to all learning styles.

The first principle of UDL: purpose of Multiple means of Represtation refers to presenting information in different fomats to provide opportunities for students to actually understand the content. This could include but is not limited to multiple media formats. This requires the instructor to look at content from all different veiws (if student has loss of hearing, then having visuals with captions or transcripts is very important or if students first language is not english to make sure content is translated or can be translated for ease of learning). 

This model acknoldeges the importance of presenting material in a manner that is transferable and retainable for the student. Provides various means to have access to the material and make it inclusive for all by eliminating (to the best of one's ability) communication barriers. 

You don't maximize student learning if you don't have the ability to reach them through their style of learning.  Be flexible.

I had to laugh about how some of these trainings have the read aloud option and some don't and it's to bad because I'm definitely a listener to learning. Ironic. I teach a drawing class and I make videos the students can access anytime for help so I cover many learning styles.

In reflection, I already innately incorporate many of the elements discussed. I have some training in web design representation for equal access, which carries over into the classroom environment. 

This chapter was such a great reminder when technology and video are so present in education that, we must ensure that our students of all learning styles are provided the tools needed to learn the material and to ensure they perceive the same message and content.

Using options on demonstrations is a great way to better learning.

This module has pointed out that all information presented needs to be accessible by everyone. Information. Needs to be represented in a various methods to meet everyone's individual needs.

I will be more diligent about providing transcripts for the videos I post! I've started posting the transcripts, but often get lazy or in a rush. I will be more intentional in the future. 

Sign In to comment