Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Shifts and Changes in Education | Origin: ED123

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Adaptive Learning in Education --> Shifts and Changes in Education

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Adaptive learning is not a replacement for the instructor.  It is intended to compliment the instructor.  However, this brings into question where the role of instructor begins and ends.  In our school, we are already experimenting with an LMS.  Through its' use, I intend on trying to make learning a more individualized experience.

There will always be questions the computer cannot answer. Students will still need and want an energetic instructor who cares.

We currently use an LMS at our college; it takes some time to get used to, but can be a great way to organize learning. However, students need to take responsibility for looking at the course home page every day for information, as well as completing the lessons to learn, not just "get through it"

the most important issue to understand with Adaptive Learning is the fact that the instructor is no longer the most important part of the learning process, now the student is just as important.

The instructor is suppose to make Adaptive Learning a more fun way to learning than conventional teaching, the student therefore will repond to this new approach when he realizes that he can go at his own pace, faster or slower, and it will make the material more adaptable to his own learning curve.

This will not substitute the instructor, it will complement him.

I love the fact that as instructors in this arena we are not only the key stakeholders but are now facilitators and motivators to students.

Although educational institutions face numerous challenges but the need for educational expansion and advancements in technology have driven the rise of AL. As instructors, we are facilitators and motivators while the real stakeholder in Adaptive Learning is the student. They must be driven to participate and also have a desire to take part in personlized, individualized learning designed specifically for them.

Eventhough there are intelligent tutor as part of adopted learning, but there is always a snag in imbedded knowledge where the answer is partially ot totally wrong and students are confused by the wronf or not foubd answer, that's when the teacher has an inportant role to play and step in for clarification and providing the correct answer(s).

I learned how important is the instructor in adaptative learnig. It is a facilitator.

Adaptive learning will make a happier client and the happier they are, the more they will be willing to participate; do evidenced practice and critically think.  i love this way of education

This is a very inadept educational tool for the instructors and the students, due to all the variables this program entails. If all institutes of higher learning could come up with the right format to invite Adaptive learning into their curriculum, would it still be a beneficial learning tool for the students or the teachers? Teachers feel they will be replaced with this technology and there are still a lot of students that do not understand what they need to do, if a teacher is not present. This is something we saw  during the pandemic. I feel with the right training, Adaptive learning could work for the new Millennia's and Generation Z.

Adaptive learning is not a replacement for the instructor.  It is intended to compliment the instructor.  However, this brings into question where the role of instructor begins and ends.  In our school, we are already experimenting with an LMS.  Through its' use, I intend on trying to make learning a more individualized experience.

There will always be a need for instructors to answer questions that's not in the FAQ section of the course.  It's like the automated payment systems that we use to pay the bills.  You will always get a question that will need a live operator to solve.  The instructor is that live operator that will help with trouble shooting/ questions not answered by the program.  It helps with the small/common questions but not the difficult hard ones.

It is important to remember that the "traditional" teaching environment is constantly evloving.

Student are the focus and it is hard for an instructor to relate to the high technology driven world that we are moving into but it is necsessary to figure it at for the benifit of the student.

See this technology as a way to give extra help to students not as a way to replace teachers as students need to be able to discuss what theyar elearning to fully process and that will not always work with technology.

Quick and short assignments may be more beneficial than long and thorough assignments.

Whether to implement active learning early or later in the program is much like a phase in our recruitment process where we try to weed out those who are truly interested in the program and what it has to offer versus those who want to pick up a hobby or trying to make their parents happy.

I believe gamification is a wonderful tactic in education especially in my field since definite rules and procedures need following.

Comment on T Wayne Hunsaker's post: agreed.  There's nothing like in person feedback.  I like to see not only does the student get the right answer, but how they got there.

I suppose with more complicated training, active learning has its merits in the beginning stage.

Yes i believe that schools will have to adapt as society changes in order to survive.

Sign In to comment