Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Modules Complete

I have completed all modules and have passed all required test. This was a short journey for a long successful career.

My Role

My role is to handle each student with the upmost care and concern. Also, it is important to pair students with appropriate departments that best fit their needs or are more knowledgable.

All are equal

We have to be sure to give accomodations to those who are registered and require them.

Learn

It is best to pay special attention to special needs students so they are not overlooked or mistreated.

ADA

Students with disabilities are important to our campus and all laws and regulations should be followed.

Non for profit

It was good to know this stuff

It was good to know about all the situation in case I have any of them thank you for the good course. Ed

Stereotypes

Why is it not acceptable to ask about disabilities on a document prior to acceptance and it is okay to ask a persons race for financial aid? Seems like the same thing? It's like asking a juror to disregard counsel's last statement isn't it? As a human being it's hard to "unknow" something.

Accomodations

If the law doesn't mandate how the accomodations are made, how can it be ensured that proper arrangements are made for a particular student with a particular disability?

ADHD

I teach cosmetology and a great period of my student's day is spent working independently on applications. How can I keep students with ADHD on task during this time?

Social Disabilities

What are some examples of social disabilities and what defines the severity?

Section 504 vs. ADA

The difference between Section 504 and ADA was not very clear to me. Is the ADA an extension of section 504? I appreciate your help!!

Eligibility Criteria/Technical Standards

Eligibility Criteria are requirements for admission that all incoming students are expected to meet. Technical Standards are elements of performance that the students maybe required to meet or demonstrate in order to progress through, or graduate from a program of instruction.

Relating Documentation to Accommodation

Student with disabilities are asked to provide documentation of their disability to the institution before they receive disability- related accommodations or support.

Mobility and Health Impairments

People in wheelchairs, with canes or crutches or obviously limited mobility are most likely to be acknowledged by the general public as people with disabilities.

Rights and Responsibility

In student Rights and Responsibility, students with disabilities essentially have one right under the law. They have the right to equal access to educational opportunities.

Competition of other schools

This really strikes a chord with me. There are things that you hear from potential students that have visited other schools.  I try not to take it personally, but it is personal. I am confident on the attributes and strengths I bring to the school. 

I don't understand why another school has to make such negative comments. What good does that do. If you believe in yourself and what your school stands for .. I just don't understand.

If your potential students come visit your school - wouldn't your want to emphasize on why you shouldn't go there, but explain… >>>

Importance of a graduation ceremony

Postsecondary education schools are not required to to hold a graduation ceremony for their graduates.

Though I understand this may not necessarily need to be required I am a little shocked at the idea that certain school would actually opt out of this. Graduations acts as ameans of something for enrolled students to look forward to and work towards. It is a celebration of their acheivements and goals.

As an admissions rep I also find showing pictures of graduation ceremonies and explaining to students about graduation often excites them. Potential students being able to picture themselves in a cap and… >>>

Additional Training

What on line CEU sessions would you recommend that instructors and administrators take?

Starting a School

I am finding it VERY eye opening in my heading a new school...I have spent months digging into the Adminstrative codes and other regulators...the delightful part of this effort is that I am finding every regulation to be simply moral and ethical "common sense!"