Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Providing feedback for the unhired

I often get asked for feedback for those that are not offered employment or selected for the interview process. What is the best way to provide feedback, if at all?

Melissa,
Common courtsey would be to send the person an email or letter thanking them for interest in your company. It is also acceptable to suggest that while they were not selected, they should be encoursged on having moved to the interview stage with your company, thdn wish them well in their job search.

Dr. Robert Roehrich

I sometimes have difficulty getting the hiring manager to provide constructive feedback as to why a candidate is not chosen. Not sure if they are too busy and this is not a priority or if they are uncomfortable telling me negative findings?

Ruth,
Getting feedback on why a candidate was not selected is important information for you and you shouldn't accept excuses for not getting it. It provides insight not only into why the manager rejected the candidate, which may be valid, but it also provides insight into how the hiring manager is approaching the interview process. One way to establish an avenue for feedback is to create an interview checklist that's correlated to the position description. In addition you can add specific areas that you want feedback on that ensures compliance with fair hiring practices, and can establish specific areas that you want feedback on. Another often overlooked practice is training your hiring managers on how to screen and interview candidates, based on your criteria. This sets a standard and keeps them engaged in the interview and decision process, but also establishes a level of accountability to ensure the hiring decisions are made in the right context. Also include a requirement for a brief narrative that summarizes why the candidate wasn't hired. With the checklist and narrative, you have a written record to track patterns and in the event a rejected candidate challenges the decision.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment