Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retaining Your Top Employees

Rentention is very important to a company. Long Term, loyal employees are hard to find. Most employees take a while to get settled, and confortable with a new position. In some companies that deal with education or private license that require their employees to hold, sometimes can be even more difficult to find. Some certifications and permits require extra school, and must be obtain before even consideration for employement.

Miriam,
Any company will make a significant investment in recruiting and training a new employee to bring them to the point where they are productive. If they leave, the company may never recoup on that investment. As you say, sometimes positions will require a particular certification or experience that may not be easy to come by and will require more work/investment to recruit qualified candidates. Then there is the company history that walks away with an employee as well. Attrition is natural and expected but when it becomes excessive, it carries a significant cost for the company.
Pat
Pat

In our organization employee retention has a
tremendous effect on the overall productivity.
Unfortunately since I have been employed with
our college (Feb 08) we have had a number of
employee changes especially in management which
has proven to effect not only productivity but
also morale to a great extent.

We have had four directors in this one year.
Any change like this especially in the top position at the campus effects enrollments,
financial aid, instructors, everyone in the
organization.
Many times these changes were necessary and proved to be beneficial after a period of time.

There is a group of individuals at the campus that have remained relatively stable and that is
the instructors. With the exception of two or
three that have left in the past year due to relocation or the military-- since we are a military city , the instructors have been here
more than a year.
I personally feel that loyalty to an organization means a great deal.

Salma,
That is always difficult for the entire organization when turnover is that heavy, especially in key positions. Continuing employees are fearful that they might be next or are questioning who might be next. Turnover is also difficult because those continuing employees usually need to take on extra work to cover for the employees who have left. This can negatively impact employee morale. Some turnover is healthy and expected but when it becomes excessive, the entire company can be hurt from a productivity standpoint.
Pat

Pat
I think employee retention has a mayor effect on the organizations productivity. When you have a good team of employees that are reliable and efficient everything runs smoother. When employees leave the company there is usually a lower productivity while you find, interview, hire and train a new employee. While that process is taking place the school needs to continue to run and that usually requires other employees to work extra hours, and often double shifts.
Marietta

Marietta,
I agree with you that employee retention impacts productivity. It also impacts employee morale when you have excessive turnover regardless of whether the turnover is voluntary or involuntary. If it is involuntary, continuing employees always worry about their own longevity within the company as well as that of others. Your point about continuing employees having to pick up extra work of those who have left is an important one as well. Since there is seldom additional pay for doing so, resentment tends to build. All in all, retaining employees is an appropriate goal.
Pat

Pat

I feel that retention has a mayor effect on a buisness productivity. When you have a revoloing door in a company I feel that it usually lowers the productivity of the buisness because you have to start interviewing and training new personals and during that time the business needs to keep running so it causes other employees to make overtime and that can also be overwhelming on them.

Diana,
I agree. Not only is it overwhelming, but it can also have a negative impact on morale. Employees feel like they are doing extra work without any additional compensation. It can also have an impact on your student retention efforts. When students see employees leave with whom they have established a connection, it is easier for them to give up and call it quits. Therefore, retention efforts pay off in multiple ways.
Pat

Pat
I think retaing your employees is very important. Not only the cost it represents the company but it creates a level of instability and confusion that is not profitable for the company.
Elsa

Elsa,
A lack of employee retention also impacts your students. Students feel that instability and confusion that you mention and it makes it easier for them to walk away when the going gets rough. Student attrition, of course, impacts your revenue. Employee morale can be impacted, too. When employee attrition occurs, other employees must pick up the responsibilities of the person who left, sometimes with no additional compensation. Employees will accept this for a brief period of time because they feel the commitment but when the position remains vacant for a long period of time, employees feel used and morale suffers.
Pat

Having employees that have the knowledge will help with overall productivity because you don't have the learning curve that you would with an new employee. The organization will become more organized and the skills can be refined, work better together, and have better input.

Julie,
When employees are not retained, it tends to also impact the overall morale of all of the employees. Typically, continuing employees will need to pick up the slack for those who have left, whether it was voluntary or involuntary. When it is involuntary, it always raises questions with continuing employees regarding their own job security. And that, too, impacts productivity. Some turnover is good but high, continuing turnover will negatively impact the bottom line.
Pat

Retaining talented employees is key to any organization. I believe you have to manage the microculture in your organization to maintain a healthy work environment. To due this, you must consistently check-in with your staff.

Employee attrition or turnover is disruptive to any organization. Knowing and understanding how satisfied your employees/staff are in your organization will provide you with a hint in terms of potential turnover. Working in an educational institution, students become attached to individual employees. Should that employee leave the organization, the student feels left alone, that the institution doesn't care, etc. With these feelings, it is easy for a student to walk away because they have lost their connection. As managers or supervisors, it is our responsibility to create an environment within which our employees can prosper and grow professionally. If we fail to provide for those basic needs, morale suffers and turnover occurs.

It's human nature to want continuity and connection particularly in the face of the 21st century's culture of change. Reading through the many responses and answers to this question, the common theme is disruption on so many levels from the loss of an employee.

In a school environment where 'relationship building' is paramount, the loss of just one staff member can adversely impact not only their colleagues through increased workload & morale, but also the extended community- faculty, students, and the public through the loss of the trusted 'point of contact'.

It is key for organizations to understand not only the tangible revenue impact on their bottom line but also the intangible impact to their broader constituents in designing and prioritizing retention strategies.

Jocelyn,

You are so right on target. Some turnover is healthy to bring in new blood and new ideas, but keeping it to a reasonable level is a sign of a good manager. Creating a culture of employee development allows you to work with an employee to improve productivity and performance. This can reduce turnover, improve employee satisfaction, and improve your bottom line.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Community building has been a huge part of my job through the years, but I find it can also have a negative impact when an employee leaves. I've seen it cause a chain reaction of resignations that can take months of recovery. What are some good ways to solidify the group when it is time for one member to move on?

I manage a small campus where is it common to move up the ladder through a number of job positions, creating employees who are cross trained and incredibly valuable. When we lose employees it is devastating to production, because you can't hire anyone on the same level as the group member who left. Creating the culture is one of the most difficult tasks. Integrating a new employee and training them to not only master their job, but also be a team player.

Kara,
It's all about building relationships both within the campus and within the community as a whole. That way you establish your credibility and those hiccups don't negatively impact you. Involving employees in decisions, at least communicating with them regarding those decisions is a big part of it. Listening and caring are additional key factors.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Kara,
That is the risk of a small campus. The cross training, though, is a real advantage and allows for multiple resources for covering in a vacancy situation. Your on boarding process is key to both the job mastery and the team player aspects of the job. I am sure you have a very tight, family type atmosphere. That in itself creates a culture. It is sometimes difficult to comfortably integrate new employees. Anything that you can do to smooth that process will help.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Sign In to comment