Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do Employee Retention Strategies Work?

What employee retention strategies does your school have in place? If you were to identify the top three most successful employee retention strategies, what would they be?

I have an open door policy for employees so that they can come in and talk to me about anything and we find a solution or a work around so that when the employee leaves they are satisfied with the outcome. Recognize top performers and give others the opportunity to get to that place with consistent coaching and feedback. Most important is Having Fun and creating a place that people want to come to instead of having to come to

Vanessa,
Combining your two postings, the information you provided are examples of paying attention to your employees and giving them the feelings of being valued. An open door policies is great if you manage it correctly, let your people know when your door is "open" and don't just let it become a revolving door; you need time to do your work too. Positive feedback, when appropriate, has been found to be more valuable than we originally thought and reinforces high morale and accomplishment. Having fun in the right context can be a valuable motivator, especially for post-Baby Boomers. Thanks of your comments.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Vanessa,
Open door policies are great, if they are managed. I would suggest you set specific times for your "open door," this way you can provide devote dedicated time and attention to your employees. I agree with your statement on recognition, it's been demonstrated in multiple studies to have a positive impact on employee morale and performance. Setting expectations for high achievement is also important, along with coaching that identifies areas for enhancement and development; not "weaknesses". Having "fun" is an admirable goal, but that too must be managed to gain the maximum benefit for the organization as well as the employees. Remember its called "work" for a reason.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

We have regular meetings to discuss any issues or concerns our employees may have. The main strategies used in dealing with employees is open honest discussions, regular evaluations of performance and open-door policy allowing staff to come to management at any time they feel neccessary.

Kerry,
These are all good steps toward creating a culture of engagement. Honesty and openness are hallmarks of good employer-employee relations and frequent performance assessments go a long way, if they occur regularly, i.e. quarterly. Don't hold off until there is an annual review in the fourth quarter, remember there should be no surprises during performance reviews; that will reinforce your culture of openness and honesty. "Open door" management is a bit of a misnomer and it puts the responsibility for communications on the employee, "management by walking around", or MBWA, engages your employees on their "turf" and encourages dialogue in a non-threatening environment and typically catches issues early-on.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Consistent Staff Meetings, staff appreciation days, and anonymous culture surveys are in place at my campus to help support our successful employee retention. I am a firm believer that making your staff members feel appreciated should be high up on every leader’s priority. A simple thank you card or placing there favorite snack from the vending machine on there desk goes a long way. Coming together as a unified team to share best practices and recognizing team members accomplishments and successes also helps my campus keep a positive culture which helps our retention.

Marissa,
Sounds like you are on track with your retention strategies. As you expressed, a bit of recognition goes a long way and has a definite impact on the culture of an organization.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I like always acknowledging the good/hard work. A thank you for the support and integrity they bring each day before leaving.

I look for ways to add value with out it being a request. Maybe something to take the load off at home so when they come to work they are focused on the day here.

Ongoing education monthly. Also the yearly convention.

Jo-Anna,
Great philosophy! As long as it doesn't become rote and routine.

Dr.Robert Roehrich

Involve employees in the decisions that affect their work.

Create a culture of teamwork with a clear united purpose. Ours is: "It takes a Village to graduate and place our students."

Create a culture of recognition and celebration where everyone participates and looks out for each other.

Linda,
I would agree that culture is one of the key variables in engaging and retaining employees, but unless it goes beyond engaging them in work related decisions, recognition and celebration, it can be a retention strategy that backfires. The foundation of employee retention is an organizational culture that is solidly based on integrity and compassion for the mission. From that starting point, organizational retention strategies focused on employee engagement, achievement and success can be established. Even quality employees can be lured away from an organization that doesn't demonstrate integrity and compassion for its mission, regardless of how much "recognition and celebration" there is.
I do agree that a culture of collaborative teamwork is necessary to support retention; however, "looking out for each other" may imply different meanings. Given the highly regulatory nature of our industry and level of federal scrutiny taking place, "looking out for each other" may have different interpretations and implications. Reflecting on organizational culture and examining core values annually also requires challenging the meanings of the cultural norms, such as “looking out for each other”. Too often senior leaders have a perception of what something means, while other employees may practice a completely different interpretation.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Select a top performance and student retention instructor to lead a group of instructors on looking at teaching styles, visual aids, inclass activities, that are proving to be successful. Then having periodical meetings to share with all other instructors, give feedback and helpful directions for instructors whose retention and student performances are not as high.

Earl,
This is a novel approach. Why not consider engaging get your experienced and top performing faculty as peer mentors with release time for working with new and under performing faculty?

How can a mentoring and support program be developed that is on going and provides recognition for success?

Dr. Robert Roehrich

1. We have a unique culture at our school, We are a massage school and many people carry their passion for the work into their job. We talk about them being part of the emerging field and that works for many.

2. A truly open door policy makes it easy for them to express ideas and help make changes.

3. We have a true team spirit. when one department is down we all step in and help.

I believe in staff communication, meaningful interactions and recognizing and appreciating efforts. I hold weekly staff meetings where open dialog is encouraged. It's a chance to share successes and best practices. It is high energy and positive. It also allows a window into other departmental responsibilities, so team members see the workload is shared evenly. I also create themed competitions that consist of teams comprised of individuals from other departments. This allows a creative outlet and a fun release from the daily pressures. For example, we do an annual pumpkin carving challenge. It encourages team work, a healthy dose of competition and rewards. We get the student body involved as judges. The staff benefits and the students love to see the staff having fun and enjoying their jobs. I often leave thank you notes for an employee after a job well done and of course we celebrate accomplishments openly in the weekly staff meetings. The team appreciates the interactions and look forward to "their turn."

Sign In to comment