Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do Employee Retention Strategies Work?

We have regular meetings to discuss any issues or concerns our employees may have. We are a small company so it is much easier to handle problems such as job satisfaction or performance. The three main strategies I use in dealing with my employees is heart to heart discussions, regular evaluations of performance (to give postitive feedback) and my "open door" policy allowing staff to come to me at any time they feel neccessary

Alexis,
Those are great strategies. I particularly like the regular evaluations of performance. This is one area where most supervisors fail, especially concerning the "regular" nature of the feedback. Employees want and deserve feedback, whether it is positive or negative.
The open door policy helps to create an environment where employees want to work. They feel appreciated when a supervisor takes the time to acknowledge them and truly listen to what they have to say. Pat

Alexis,
How do you think the current econonic situation impacts employee retention?

Secure employees trust and loyalty will make them have less desire to leave in the future.
Employees will stay if they like the company atmosphere, their boss and their co-workers. An exiting position with plenty of opportunities to growth, learn and advance. A job that make a difference in their lives.

Employee recognition programs is also a secret to increase employee morale.

Susana,
Those are great employee retention ideas. Employee turnover becomes an expense to the organization so finding ways to retain your employees can positively impact your bottom line. With the exception of the employee recognition program, the items that you mentioned have little or no cost to the company and yet can pay off handsomely through less turnover. Even the employee recognition program can be done inexpensively through certificates of appreciation, for example.
Pat

Pat
My school has competitive salaries,medical benefits, opportunities to grow within the company, employee incentives and a positive atmosphere. in addition, the company provides the employee with
professional development courses that can be applied towards a new learning experience that can be effective in there field.

I think salaries, medical benefits and a positive atmosphere are the top three most successful strategies.
Marietta

Marietta,
Those are great strategies that certainly impact employee retention. The other one I have found that really makes a difference is treating all employees with dignity and respect. It is sometimes the little things that make a really big difference. Valuing your employees makes them feel that you care about them as contributors to your institution's success. Performance evaluations and salary increases are another way to show respect for your employees. How your employees are treated has a big impact on how they treat your students which in turn impacts your student retention and your bottom line.
Pat

Pat
My school give to the employee good salary,benefits ,and continuing education where we have the chance of increase the knowledge very frecuent.
The three most successful employee retention are:

COMUNICATION,INTEGRITY AND PASSION(LOVE WHAT YOU DO)

Mercedes,
I believe that you hit on the most important retention technique and that is communication. If we communicate with our employees so they know what is going on, they know what the goals are, they know why, they will be more likely to buy into what we are trying to do and will engage in activities to accomplish those goals together. So often supervisors will not share information because to them information is power. That usually backfires. Sharing information empowers people.

The other "retention technique" is to treat everyone with dignity and respect. If people are treated well, they will return that respect and ultimately, it is the students who benefit. Integrity, as you said, becomes a part of that too.

Our employees work in a fast pace, but peacefull atmosphere; we have been taught by two mentors who are the pilars in the education business. We are like a family; we work very hard and take things upon ourselves; that is alone a stragety. Another important stragety we follow is having staff and management meetings and also departamental meetings weekly, even if it is a 20 minute meeting. Also, we conduct performance reviews and employee surveys. All these items help a great for employee retention.

There are many important strageties a company can use:

1. Creating and enforcing clear policies and procedures so that all employees are well aware of what to do, when and how.
2. Educating employees to conduct themselves with respect, professionalism and how to work as a team.
3. Providing not only company benefits , but most important the opportunity to excell within the organization.

Nelly,
Those are great strategies. It sounds like employee retention is not an issue for you. Retention is seldom an issue when you provide a caring, respectful environment and communicate effectively with your employees. It is when those pieces are not in place, that employees are continually seeking employment elsewhere.
Pat

Madeline,
That is a great list of "to dos" for retaining employees. One that I would add to your list is to communicate effectively and often with employees. So often, we think they don't need to know. If they know and understand, they can help us to achieve our goals. Creating that environment of mutual respect and caring concern while challenging employees to do their best results in a win-win situation.
Pat

Honesty, Compassion, and awareness.

Chris,
I am a little confused by your response. I am assuming that you are suggesting that employees are more likely to be retained if you are honest with them and show them compassion. I am not certain where you are going with the awareness. Are you suggesting that you need to be aware of the importance of employee retention? Please clarify for me.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

My company has a variety of was to promote retention. The most frequent is weekly staff meetings to discuss the breakthroughs and breakdowns in each department. We focus on each staff member as well as how their projects add to the whole of the company. On a quarterly basis we recognize employees who have gone above and beyond the call of duty and made a difference. They receive a certificate and small gift. Many of the employees have their certificate displayed in their office.

Chris, I agree, the tripod of honesty, awareness and compassion in all relationships enhances the workplace and builds a trusting, long-lasting team

Kara,
Recognition is so important to employees. It doesn't have to be a major, costly kind of recognition either. For some, a simply thank you along with a certificate is adequate to let the employee know that they are appreciated. One of the questions I always ask a Dean or President candidate is: "Faculty are one of our best assets. What have you done recently to let faculty know how much you appreciate them?" This could be adjusted for any type of position but it let's you know whether or not your candidate is one who does recognize others. This type of activity will enhance you employee retention efforts.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Kara,
All of that fits into your hiring process as well since you want to hire employees who exhibit those traits. It becomes descriptive of your culture if you are hiring with those traits in mind and ideally begins to permeate the entire organization.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

At our school we try to create a culture that is fun to work in and a sense of belonging. This is done by:

1. Blue jeans are allowed on Fridays only
2. Flexible hours during the week as long as department is covered for student needs.
3. Planned employee food events, including pot luck lunches around a theme: Christmas, Cinco De Mayo, etc.

In addition we recognize staff and faculty members on a quarterly basis with a certificate and a small electronic gift.

Sign In to comment