Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Be CLEAR about delegating tasks..

Communication is the key here. If your employees either don't understand, or have an incomplete understanding of the task they are being delegated, this will result in costly and time-consuming errors.

The best approach is to explain the task to the delegee, and then Q&A them regarding their understanding of the task as completely as possible. Another excellent practice when delegating authority is to WRITE DOWN what was agreed to and have it SIGNED by both the boss and the delegee--this protects both the boss and the delegee and provides a record of the delegated task.

I welcome any input!

Richard--

That's how I communicate with my employees. It works great!!

I am not sure about the signing thing but I agree that it should be written down. Another good way is to keep good records and minutes of meetings to ensure the delegee understand, also post these minutes to a place where the delegee can view them.
Review the delegated tasks with the individual on a regular basis to ensure the are on topic and focused and not straying.

I never thought of it that way but you make a lot of good points I do most of that all ready but I like the part about "writing down what was agreed to and have it SIGNED by both the boss and the delegate". I learned a lot of really good ways of communication that will be very helpful in my future from these courses.

I think writing down the task is the only way to fly, I think signing for acknowledgment should be used for important tasks or when there has been a problem, it can be misused as I have worked under people that have overused signing and attitudes can develop among the troops.

Writing down what was agreed upon will create a clear understanding as well as the ability to hold the individual accountable for the work they did or did not complete.

Sign In to comment