Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not bringing a resume to the interview

I am not sure if I am the only one but is it ok for the candidate NOT to bring their resume with them to the interview even though we have obtained one from when the candidate applied on line? I've had numerous candidates tell me they didn't bring one for a variety of reasons. It drives me a little crazy as I perceive this as not being prepared even though the interview goes well.

Barbara,
Through our many interviews across my career I always had a resume with me, but never had an interviewer ask for it, I will continue to follow my pattern. Because so much of a job search and communications with potential employers is done electronically, it is understandable that a candidate wouldn't bring a resume to the interview, assuming the interviewer is prepared with a copy. Having said all that, I agree with you that it demonstrates a lack of awareness for the potential of the interviewer not having one and a lack of preparation on the part of the candidate. Bottomline is that if I were favorable toward a candidate after a face-to-face interview and had a pre-interview copy of his/her resume, I would move ahead in the process. Sometimes we just have to change our paradigm.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I want the candidate to bring a copy of their resume with them to the interview even though I may already have a copy. They should also have a copy before them so that they can refer to it if necessary and elborate on any questions that come from the resume. The candidate should know what is on their resume certainly, but be able to refesh their memory if necessary. If they do nmot have a couple of copies with them, one for everyone interviewing, I feel like they are not prepared and are not that interested in the process. An interview is an opportunity for the candidate to 'sell' themselves to me and the organization and being prepared plays a huge part in that process.

I feel everyone should come prepared for an interview. For a person to show up to a interview without a resumes is extremely unprofessional of you .. A perfect example : I don't believe anyone would show up to buy a car with out getting approval for a loan or having the cash to purchase it..

Erica,
I am in agreement that one should be prepared for an interview and having an extra copy of a resume is part of that preparation. However, the only reason a candidate should be asked for an “extra copy” of their resume is for the interviewer to pass it on to another person in the hiring organization at the end of the interview, for which the interviewee should be prepared. Other than for that reason, asking a candidate for an additional copy of their resume would demonstrate poor interview etiquette and a lack of preparation on the part of the interviewer. To facilitate an effective interview, the interviewer should always vet the candidate's resume in advance and have questions about background and experience referenced to specific points on the resume. The resume is an initial screening device and should be used during the interview for guidance, connection and reference when needed.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

While I do see your point, I always ask for a "clean" copy of their resume. Sometimes when using sites like career builder, the resume does not print out in the best manner or the formatting is messed up. In addition, this allows the person to provide me with their best resume. If they had me something that is printed on regular copier paper I take that into consideration when I compare it to the other candidate who provided me with a resume packet, that includes a cover letter, and resume on resume paper and a nice folder with letters of recommendations, transcripts etc.

Aaron,
From your response it appears that you place a high value on a well presented resume. This is a natural tendency of hiring managers and must be kept in perspective for a good hiring decision to be made. Unfortunately, reliance on the printed resume can often result in a mismatched hire or worse, a problem employee. Hiring is a comprehensive process and ultimately must be made on a combination of factors, the resume should be relegated to a lower weighting than the in-person and comprehensive interview process. Resumes have many shortcomings, for example: there is no disclaimer or statement of accuracy on a resume, it may not have been prepared by the interviewee, it may not represent full disclosure by omitting information or "doctoring the verbiage",they only reflect historical events, etc. A heavy reliance on resumes may inadvertently screen out well qualified candidates by screening for specific words or elements from a job description. As you approach interviewing candidates in the future, do you think you might adopt a position of less emphasis on the well prepared resume?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Though I agree with your reply to Aaron, I too look for the candidate to provide me with a resume'. My past experiences have been that although I may have one , that at times the applicant had sent an older version and will provide me with an updated resume'. You also point out that many resumes have shortcomings,I agree but if the applicant did not take the time to review it prior to sending it out, what does that say to his/her work habits.

Sign In to comment