Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evaluating Employee Development Needs

What methods have you used, or will you use, to evaluate the ongoing developmental needs of your direct reports?

I observe my faculty in the classroom and make notes of both strengths and weaknesses. Then I consult student feed back forms. Next id to look at what continuing education courses are out there that may help develop this member of the faculity. Next is to talk to the faculty member to get their opinion and suggest the ocurses I would like them to attend, I also ask them for input on classed that they might like to attend. We come to an agreement and they are registered for the class. After attending the class I ask for their feed back on if they think the class was worth the time spent and if they feel that it would benifit other faculty members.

Don

Hello Don,

Impressive process you have described. It is not unusual for people to avoid engaging in a thorough developmental activity such as this. I applaud your efforts. It is especially good that you allow the faculty members to contribute their own opinions and suggestions around the courses. This surely increases their buy-in to the developmental process.

The fact that you also use the feedback from students, not just your own observations, increases the validity of the process. Always good to include the opinions of others when doing developmental work. Obviously, if this were a process to determine something such as ... say ... pay raises, you'd have to take care in using any feedback other than your own. But your process sounds great. Using multiple sources makes it resemble a 360 degree feedback process, another useful tool for developing others.

Jason

Developing a program to evaluate and then develope direct reports seems to be driven by both the personal needs of the individual as well as the requirements of the industry we serve. I feel it necessary to learn their strengths, goals, and ambitions in order to discover what we may/will need to develope over time in order to meet the expectations of our industry.

Everyone would love to have employees who are self-starters, sensitive to job requirements, and near perfect in the execution of their tasks. Reality, however, gives us a mix--both good and bad. Our position (management) requires us to determine how well someone fits their position as well as look at their potential. The steps outlined in the course are fairly standard and most of us use them now. My problem area is dealing with the "wild card" employees everyone seems to have.

These people may be really good half the time and only minimal employees the other half of the time. They may be a relative (your's or someone else's), or have been there sooo long... For whatever reasons, they are perceived as special cases. These "added values" make it difficult for me to remain objective. To overcome this I find discussion/evaluation is required more often than just annually in order to be fair to both the employee and the company--no matter how difficult the task is. These same techniques, after all, apply to me as well as my direct reports; both of us must be competent in our duties.

I agree with this approach. I think direct observation is key to knowing what an employee's strong and weak points are.

I use this method myself and have found that I have several employees that think in their own mind they are the best there is, yet when I observe these employees, there is vast room for improvement. Other employees I see put on flawless performances, yet they are constantly worried that they are not up to speed.

I think this highlights the fact that we often do not see our own flaws or achievements. A third person is needed to get a true picture of where an employee stands.

Using the Performance and Potential Grid method.

Currently I’m using observations, individual development plans and performance questionnaires. Also my instructors have several goals that are monitored and metrics are tracked quarterly. Formal feedback for the entire team occurs at the mid year touch point and the annual review. More frequent feedback for specific individuals occurs as required.
I haven't been exposed to the Performance and Potential Grid or the Return On Management Ratio before and look forward to adding them to my present process.

We currently evaluate developmental needs by assessing performance, one-on-one meetings and constant interaction and communication with employees. After going through the materials in this course, I clearly see some methods I can use to enhance the way I interact and determine the "ongoing developmental needs" of my direct reports. I really like the idea of using the grid to plot performance so that I am able to zero in on my next steps. The worksheets provided in this course will be useful tools to help me navigate my way through development discussions.

I try to have at least 6 observations a year on my instructors and will usually sit in their class for about 45 min. to one hour. I will then fill out an observation form and have a one on one conversation with each employee. I will start on their strong points and praise them for what I saw was the positives in the class room. Then I will work on areas of opportunities and give them suggestions that made me successful during my teaching. I will then follow up on my feed back to see if being implemented.

I personally do not like the forced ranking of employees. the performance/potential approach is much more realistic. I dont believe as managers we should always be "Looking" for the rule of thumb 10% attrition but try to develop the employees we have spent a long time qualifying during to hiring process.

Usually done by regular visits to the classroom for each instructor. These will vary, depending on the past performance of the instructor, as well as what point they are in the curriculum. For example, is it an area where student performance shows to be consistenty low in past classes. There might be something going on with the instruction that is causing this. A lot of times, this will bring to light areas of opertunity for developement of teaching skills.

Classroom observations have been a tool that I have leveraged in the past.

My best results in improving performance come from the 'de-briefing' session that follows the observation. Sitting down in a neutral and quiet area, discussing the observation then deciding on one or two areas that can be improved. Those go into the development plan and are revisited regularly to gauge progress.

Currently I like to gather as much information as I can about the employee including; metrics, personal goals, past performance, etc. Then I perform a classroom observation to gather my own personal thoughts and not be driven by data alone. After I have done my homework I like to talk with the employee on what steps they feel would be best for their development. I try not to give the employee answers, but have them come to their own conclusions. I have found people wont argue with their own data.

Hi Jared!

I love the your quote, "I have found people wont argue with their own data." Getting buy-in from an employee when evaluating and determining developmental needs, is the crucial step to successful performance.

Thanks!

Jay
ML129

Hi Rich, thanks for your comments. You hit it right on the head as to the importance of the debriefing session. In this sense, the observation becomes more of an effective training tool and less of a dreaded evaluation.

Jay Hollowell
ML129

At our Company we do monthly classroom observations along with weekly team meetings/discussions.
Each observation is followed by positive feedback along with corrective measures in one area at a time.
During our feedback sessions we lead the Instructors to tell us their thoughts about the area of improvement jointly coming up with a plan to success.

Let them know they are apppreciated.
I learned about positive feedback to enhance employee's.

Thanks for your comment, Nicole. Even when providing constructive criticism or tackling performance issues with an employee, it is best to start the feedback with a positive twist prior to discussing areas of improvement.

Jay Hollowell
ML129 Facilitator

I usually go in and observe and try to get back to my employees right away so it is still fresh in both our minds. Always start with the positive and then move on to things that need improvement. Also I have others that observe and I sit in those discussions to help develop our employee. The most important is to follow up on the things that need improvement and giving them a timeframe to show improvement.

Sign In to comment