Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New instructor questions.

I am a new instructor and I am having problems with my students not following directions. Simple instructions too.....don't text in class. I can manage time well but have a time with managing student behavior. Any ideas? There are also certain policies and procedures I need to follow with in the organization.

I've been an instroctor for 3 years and believe me I still have those days when the new students come into my class and think it is o.k to tex. Basically I let everyone know from the beginning it is disrespectful not only to me but also to the other students and if I find them texing after that anouncement I will pull them in and have a one on one with the student and ask them if it was very important to respond to while in class. Let them know next time it happenes and they don't excuss themselves from class, they will be sent home. Make sure as the instructor you follow through if you don't they will eat you alive. Hope this helps good luck.

The answer to your question is that you need to find a common ground between you and the student. It appears that the student is in charge and your attempting to level the playing field to gain acceptance or approval. Challenge the student to different activites or change your delivery in teaching. This will allow you to gauge your teaching style and understand the students response.

These are all great suggestions. I have found that the rules which my students commonly have trouble following (such as texting0 should be listed in the course syllabus as a reminder to respect classmates by following the rules.

Thank you for this topic!

I have a rules of conduct paper that I pass out to everyone on the first day of class. Phones and texting is included in the list of rules. as I go over the rules I have the students initial next to each one. I have them sign and date it and turn it in.

In our school is mandatory for students to leave the phones in their locker rooms to avoid texting while in class. This way the instructor can focus on teaching and doesn't have the responsibility to discipline students on that matter.

Sign In to comment