Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Visual Impairments

As an online instructor, what assignments might you avoid if you have students with visual impairments?

This is a great question Renee, because nowadays online instructors are using more graphics and videos to assist them in teaching certain topics. This is particularly true because of the accessibility of things like youtube that probably already have something on point that the instructor wants to convey. If students are visually impaired however, they will have a difficult or impossible (depending on the level of impairment) time completing such an assignment.

Therefore, if I were an online instructor, I would avoid any assignments that require students to watch a video and have questions attached that ask what they "saw". Videos in themselves would probably be fine, but I would tailor any questions to what the student "heard".

Parrish,
Very good, thoughtful points. One of the keys is for the instructor to be open to the idea that there are students out there with impairments. Avoiding assignments that require students to describe what they "saw" is a good idea, or at the very least, give the students another option for the assignment.

Renee Shaffer

For a student with a visual impairment, you would need to use a multimodal approach of the content delivery… Meaning that you wouldn't rely solely on power point slide shows the student couldn't see… You could, perhaps, create a podcast that the student can listen to in order to get the content that way, by listening. Thank you. M. Crowley

Michael,

How nice. A podcast or audioclip would be very useful and students could listen to it any time they wish.

Renee Shaffer

As an online instructor, we would need to avoid assignments where the student has to watch videos. If the assignment was to watch a video then write an essay about it a student with a visual impairment would not be able to do it easily. We would need to provide some type of alternate assignment. Another solution would be to have some kind a description of what can be seen on the video provided to the student.

This is very difficult to answer in an age where technology and especially the availability of videos is so prevalent. In some ways to remove all videos from a class is unfair to the students because of the wealth of information that is available through that source. Finding videos that are captioned is still difficult although there are more becoming available.

In my full-time job, I work with students who have disabilities and know the struggles they face. Each one of them is different in how they approach videos. Some need the captioning, others need a transcript, and some are able to gather the information from listening only. What I recommend to instructors and what I would consider would be a best practice would be for instructors to preview videos in several ways. First, watch the video without sound and then determine whether you can gain from it what you expect of the students. Second listen to it without watching it and then ask the same question. Finally read a transcript. If the video does not work in any one of those scenarios, then it probably should not be used in the online classroom.

Darren,
Good ideas. As long as the alternate assignment is similar, it would be acceptable. However, the better thing to do for video assignments is to have an adequate written transcript already available for the student. Your disability office should be able to help with this and many services are available which can help the learner and the instructor.

Renee Shaffer

Dolores,
Excellent ideas! I especially liked your 1, 2, and 3. You understand where students with disabilities are coming from and know of their hardships. You are indeed correct that every one of them is different. But whatever their differences, they are entitled to a good, vlaid education.

Renee Shaffer

I agree with your post, Parrish, and I think that is important even for students who do not have a documented disability but have a learning style other than visual. However, limiting the questions to those that do not address what a student "saw" still does not address the issue of students who might be hard of hearing.

Dolores Kiesler

Hello,
I would avoid using videos. I tried to use videos in a class before and I had hearing impaired students and I had to provide a transcript of the video for these students. I feel that there is nothing you could provide for a visually impaired student to help in their learning process.

Kara,

You can also give them a transcript saying what is actually in the videos- a description.

Renee Shaffer

Videos, photos and power points. And graphics used should be described well so students will be able to understand them without seeing them.

Visual impairments can vary (from low vision to complete blindness), so I don't know that I would completely avoid showing video or PPT, however, if I did incorporate in a lesson, I would be sure that:

1) it was of high quality visually and not on a small screen, etc.
2) a transcript would be available
3) if video, it would be introduced (what is the purpose of the class watching it, in the video 'this and that' happens', etc.)
4) explain what the class was seeing (i.e., describe the visual aid. 'you are seeing a picture of a man walking his dog on a trail...the man looks relaxed and happy, etc. etc.)

These are just a few suggestions.

I think that instructors can sometimes be wary of just asking the person what might work best for them. For example, if I am given a roster and I see I have a student with a disability, I can ask the student (privately) what are some things I might be able to do in the course that will help them to have a better all around learning experience. I've found most students are very happy to let me know what works best for them.

I've enjoyed reading this DB as it has given me a fresh perspective on the topic...thanks everyone!!

Karen Bisset

Even though I use PowerPoints I make sure that I discuss each slide fully. I make sure that pertinent information is printed boldly. I learned to simply suggest that the students need to reference a page in the textbook does not work as well as me discussing the page.

Karen,

Good points. It really is a great idea to ask the student what would work better for them. Many times they have never been asked.

Renee Shaffer

Audio is best with visual disabilities

I think you would normally avoid assignments which require careful scrutiny... Like what is wrong with this picture? How many differences can you find between these two pictures? and the like...

BUT also anything that is too monochrome or tends toward something difficult for the red green color blind...

Choose pictures and diagrams that are simple, clear, uncluttered and well defined.

I think what I would do is give multiple delivery options for instruction. Because I know that timing may be an issue, I could record the chat sessions and also list them in Powerpoint presentation format. I would then email out the content to give the student an opportunity to digest the material and ask questions.

Christopher,
good points. It would also be a good idea to ask the student what works best for them.

Renee Shaffer

Sign In to comment