Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

capitalize the I

Anyone heard of a saying to make students realize they should capitalize the letter i used as a proper noun nstead of i?

Thanks

Teaching ONline

How do you all handle students who just won't engage?

Social Media Eductaion

Should we as Instructors have a social page to keep ourselves aware of what we are teaching, or just read about them and teachthe basics?

Developing Instruction for Online Classes

As an instructor takes inventory of his/her readiness to teach an online coure I believe taking an online course will benefit the instructor better than anything.  We all grew up within a real classroom and we were all able to spend time with an instructor/professor standing in front of us and presenting material for us to learn.  Online instruction is very different so unless you have had the experience of being in an online class you cannot relate to a student in an onine environment.  You are able to offer more insight and suggestions on how you can assist students… >>>

Technology tool

The EL105 course was very beneficial. Matching technology tools is essential in online learning.

Using Blackboard Collaborate to Engage Online Learners

I have found that using blackboard collaborate in my courses has been a great way to engage online learners. I have used collaborate in the past for synchonous activity especially group work. The students really enjoy hearing other students voices. I always use my webcam so the students can see me, and they appreciate it. It's a great opportunity for students to engage with each other. Has anyone else ever used collaborate in their courses to engage online learners?

Dr. Lewis

EL201 - Online Communication: Engaging and Retaining Online Learners

I have been teaching / facilitating at the college level for 30 years, 13 of that online.  I have practiced reflective teaching, such that I reflect on my ongoing experiences for what they can teach me about being a better instructor. I found this course to be surprisingly fresh, and surprisingly useful, particularly the fourth module - Online Communication Strategies.  Although I had already arrived at most of those techniques, the frameworks this module provided will strengthen my practice by making it more reflective and more systematic.

Do we trust social networking

I have concerns that we cannot unring a bell and social networking allows information to flow outside of the classroom.  I am worried that sometimes students will post on a social networking site that will be inappropriate or destructive in nature.

Hi There

Of students that you have, which is the most reason that a student does not do well in online school?

Is it that they are not prepared or is it that they don't have much time?

Thanks,

Kelly

Communication

I always call students before the course starts. Then I make certain I contact them if they are participating and if they are failing. I do what I can to tutor them and give them some one on one time. My goal is to help them get one step closer to their degree plan.

Online Human Touch

I love that the concept is title "Online Human Touch". It recognizes the relevance of needing a 'human touch' in the online environment and that it is possible.

Michelle Boddy

On track?

I really enjoyed reading your post and love the example of schoolwork. We cannot let up on schoolwork because it can get overwhelming just as anything we let up on. Everything is connected with our success such as time management, positive self talk and making the right choices. Our book states "Even with S.T.A.R. goals in place, at some point we all come up against things that threaten to derail us, whether it's a situation, person, event, our own fears, doubts, or even an immediate desire that conflicts with our long term plan for ourselves. How can we be sure to… >>>

Liability

Once we had a student suffering from seizure disorder attending a ground campus. The student suffered seizures on a weekly basis. Naturally, this disrupted the class for sometime until the medics arrived to attend to this student. Afterwards the class would resume. The time other students lost in class began adding up due to the weekly disruptions. What would you recommend for this type of situation in which too many disruptions are going on and students are not getting the lecture time they paid for? What responsibility does the Instructor have?

Marie

Talk to me

At times I go through classes with a large percentage of students who seem to be disengaged. Even though I call and leave messages many of them do not respond. They only participate in class by completing their work. I hold live labs each week yet almost never have a student show up, and if one does, it is always the same student. I love teaching, but as the saying goes.......the teacher appears when the student is ready.

Marie

Experience with Blogs in the Online Classroom

Good evening!

For those who have incorporated blogs in their online classrooms, how effective are they?  Have student engagement and participation increased?  How much coaching has been necessary to ensure proper etiquette and respect?  What advice would you give to a teacher considering using blogs in the online classroom?

Brandon Henry

Do I learn by teaching others? Yes.

Without the "fringe" benefit of being able to learn from students teaching would be a very intensive, cumberson, boring way for me to earn a living.

What is life without the ability to learn from others?  For example, a student holds two jobs, has three kids, and is caring for her sick parent.

How does she manage?  I'd like to know.

Also, a topic envoks strong emotion.  Why?

Finally, a problem presented for class dicussion results in students sharing their unique points of view.

How fortunate am I to be in involved?!!

And then too there is the obvious in… >>>

Tone of voice and immediacy still hold sway

I'm all for multiple delivery methods when it comes to engaging students and helping them along.

However, every time I pick up the phone and actually talk to a student I get a much better sense of the issue at hand and am able to further solidify a positive relationship with that person.  My experience is also true when it comes to communication at work.  Lately, the trend at my college is to discuss complex issues via email.  A person will announce that they are soliciting feedback on a given question or issue and then we are supposed to "weigh… >>>

Hello Out There

I want to know if anyone has any course material for INT106 outide of the book

Only if they show up!

Although there are tools and strategies available to enhance engagement, if students are super busy with their multi-dimensional lives and are not in the classroom you can not put them in place. Any suggestions?

Promoting a personal relationship with learners

Hello All (I do not know who will read this...)

One way my online nursing programs promotes the alliance is through the use of Zoom meetings.  Zoom connects learners and faculty face-to-face in real time.  Questions can be answered, empathy received, and collegial support delivered just in time.   The Zoom meetings with our students are always appreciated.

Dr Clark