Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

EL201 - Online Communication: Engaging and Retaining Online Learners

I have been teaching / facilitating at the college level for 30 years, 13 of that online.  I have practiced reflective teaching, such that I reflect on my ongoing experiences for what they can teach me about being a better instructor. I found this course to be surprisingly fresh, and surprisingly useful, particularly the fourth module - Online Communication Strategies.  Although I had already arrived at most of those techniques, the frameworks this module provided will strengthen my practice by making it more reflective and more systematic.

Hello Alfred,

I agree that this course is very informative and contain updated information on the current trends and status of online learning and perceptions.  I have also been teaching online for several years.  However, some to new research presented was interesting to read. This course also provides suggestions for outreach techniques to employ in establishing rapport with students.   The statistics about the growing rate of online education provides information that indicates future trends in online education. It would be interesting to see an update on the course in a couple of years presenting new statistics.

Best wishes,

Phyllis Gooden, Ph.D.

I am a clinic instructor who is taking online classes so I may teach online in the future. These classes help me as a student and an instructor. I have been able to discuss these issues with my insturctors. I'm looking forward to continueing and learning to teach online.

Hi, Marilyn.

I have been developing an instructional model over the last 30 years, which I would like to share with you. Cannot attach it here, but my e-mail is kent.vancleave@faculty.aiuonline.edu.  I focus on teaching students process awareness, and build a mental model of their learning and performance process skills and deficits, from which I offer formative feedback.

Sign In to comment