Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

What is the most effective way to communicate with an online learner?

We havve tried multiple ways to get online learners to enage in their classes.  We have offerred adobe connect meetings, discussion forms, new student orientation and other ways to engage the student.

Summative formats

Smmative formats include tests, performance test, wriiten assessment, standardized test and oral assessments.  Why is summative assessment important?

Online students and time management problems…

Online Instructors:

What technique or method do you use for helping students who poorly manage their time management? Do you have any special way of getting them to use their time more efficiently? As they are at a distance, you need to continue communicating your advice, support and concerns, however I've found that once a student is aware of their time management issues, there's a better chance of helping them overcome them. Sometimes it's simply a matter of rethinking the time spent on classroom work!

For example, typical of many students, I had one – a single mother with two… >>>

Interested

Aside from teaching students to be familiar with the online environment, making them aware of available resources, and the student lounge, what other options are there for building community?

Class Participation

Without being overly intrusive, how can an instructor encourage class participation in a small class?

Motivating Online Students to Manage Their Time

Online students are usually working adults, who have families. They are busy and their time is usually consumed in working and family activities. Having a positive relationship with students is important, but how can instructors motivate these students to effectively manage their time in order to complete weekly assignments?

Retention

Retention is essential if not for your institution but also for the studnet that had high hopes and for some reason fell short of those goals.

Robin Jonas

acidently entered

experience with creation

Has anyone been able to create their own game and use it in the online learning environment?

I don't think I have the time to invest in creating a game since I online teach part-time and work a full time job as well.

How to Handle Night Owls

Does anyone have any advice for handling students who are "Night Owls"?  I have several students who fit this category and they always seem to post late and want immediate answers!

Cool technology keeps students' attention

It is very important to keep up with the newest and coolest technolgy because digital natives speak that language and anything else is foreign to them. I can't wait for Facebook to come out with their take on virtual realtiy. Now that will be really cool!

Best Regards,

Penelope A. Kerr

what prerequisites should students expect to take to be able to create media for a class?

what prerequisites should students expect to take to be able to create media for a class?

Engaging Online Learners

I have completed this course!  I am incorporating the steps outlined when interacting with online learners, communicating coursework/assignments and providing feedback.  Simply addressing a student by name, then asking how he/she is doing is an excellent approach to getting a response.  Also, this course provided great insight regarding the importance of the "Working Alliance," this positive working relationships is how we gain and maintain the trust, rapport  and mutual agreement with our students.  

Blog Content

Blogs may further immerse the students in the content by providing what?

Generational Differences

Recognizing generational differences is an important part of the communication cycle as is recognizing if someone is an introvert or extrovert. Should online Universities develop a software tool that would be used in the early on boarding of students that would serve as a personality type indicator (similar to Meyers Briggs but with the addition of generational differences in the use and attitude toward technology) ?     Then with your generational attitudes and other personality traits identified , map you to a list of critical success factors you will be responsible for while progressing through the online courses.  I would guess… >>>

Communication Plan Effectiveness

In the training we learned that a communication code of conduct should be established and I would of course agree. However it has been my experience that students do not read lengthy rants of text.   I would propose that short bulleted codes of conduct would be more effective than a long disertation on right and wrong.   Do you agree or should I look at this from a different perspective?

Power points and website learning

I always find that it is frustrating that so many students don't utilize the power points or websites provided to help them with the coursework. So many of the answers and important learning information is provided in these lectures, but many students would rather just Google the information and not get the full theory behind the subject. Does any one else have problems like this or see this as a recurring issue?

Student/faculty contact

Does anyone think that requiring students to have some sort of contact with instructors on line is a good idea? Could this be integrated into grading and be presented as a graded part of the class?

Twitter vs. grammar- the ongoing battle

I think twitter and other microblogging tools are an effective way to supplement online learning.  I do worry (based on observations over the past few years) about students use of grammar, sentence structure, spelling, etc.  While I see an increase in technology savy among students, I also see a sharp decline in communicating effectively and correctly. I believe we need to focus on both, which can be a tricky task....

Constructive criticism online

Hi All,

one struggle I've encountered online is giving effective feedback to students on work without seeming overly critical. Many online instructors shy away from detailed feedback in their courses which makes my job more difficult because students don't expect the amount of feedback I give.  In fact, I give the same amount in on ground classes, but students then have the opportunity to ask me face to face about my comments and we have an established relationship which is positive.  How can I achieve this online?  How can I encourage other instructors to give detailed feedback as well?