Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Talk to me

At times I go through classes with a large percentage of students who seem to be disengaged. Even though I call and leave messages many of them do not respond. They only participate in class by completing their work. I hold live labs each week yet almost never have a student show up, and if one does, it is always the same student. I love teaching, but as the saying goes.......the teacher appears when the student is ready.

Marie

Marie,

I have found that many students, especially adult learners as we serve, are often overwhelmed with multiple real-life challenges and responsibilities.  Over the course of my online teaching, every time I think I've heard it all--a student lets me know-"No, I can top that!"  From being homeless, in the hospital, caring for someone in the hospital, child issues, death, divorce, loss of job, etc., (you get my meaning), many adult learners who are learning online have onground challenges that keep them offline and far from being grounded-pardon the pun.

Sometimes trying to figure out when they can meet is a virtual impossibility, but persist we must.  Easy answer--no!  Only that we, the online faculty continue in our efforts to engage the students.  We can try asking "if there is a better time for the live chat," or try to host different times...Again, I don't have any easy answers but I do relate to your experiences. 

Ruby

I do think that people are so innundated nowadays that they seem to avoid being able to be in all these other chats and offerings. While teachers/professors go above and beyond to help their students, students do not always have the time to 

be in live chat etc. It's unfortunate really as students would learn so much more.

-Kelly

Sign In to comment