Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having students introduce themselves in a forum

I think the idea of students introducing themselves in the forum is a great idea. I personally do that in the real-time class with my students on the first day of class. However, if I require, as their first assignment, to write a brief bio about their academic background, career, or experience, I am afraid that some will feel less than others. For example a housewife returning to school may feel shy sharing her academic background with others, who may already have advanced degrees. What do you think?

I have found that most students like to post a short bio. I try to make comments that will get them to talk more or expand on their post if someone seems shy. It is a fun process and most students seem to like it also.

Hi Gelena, I have seen the intimidation factor among students; however, I have also seen where they find commonality with one another that they didn't know existed, so I recommend including the assignment. Tina

You can have students first give there career goals this will introduce them to each other while acting as a icebreaker. Then you can introduce the bio in to the forum.
I like to know my students career goals more then their bio because this allows me to tailor my forums to their career goals.

Hi Zulema, that is a great idea. Many of my faculty keep this information available as they engage with learners throughout the quarter to tailor their feedback as you suggest! Tina

I'm getting so many good ideas from taking this class. In the next class I teach I will plan to incorporate a request for a short statement about career plans and then a short bio.

Karlen,
I am so very glad this class is proving to be of benefit to you. Your desire to teach well is so invigorating. Best wishes for success!!!

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment