Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Gen Y and Small Collaborative Cohort Groups in the Classroom

I find the students become highly engaged in a topic when given a related interactive assignment that is to be accomplished in a classroom cohort group of 2-4 students.

Allowing texting

I find it interesting how some of my best students actually manage to perform well in their class while texting periodically during class. There is a fine line to walk between completely "banning" texting during class time and simply allowing it to occur here and there. The question then becomes, do the "benefits" of allowing students to text periodically during class outweigh the drawbacks of eliminating it completely?

A "better" way to keep connected with students...

I find it infringing on instructors' privacy to hand out personal phone numbers to students for many reasons. I would suggest using a service such as Viber and Whatsap to call and text students back and forth without giving out personal information. In today's world, students may not like the instructor for whatever reason and this can cause some issues with harassment and or badgering of the instructor in the future. Viber and Whatsap on the other hand do not give out personal information but yet can still be useful tools to keep in contact with students at all times.

Strategies for helping ELL students retain information

I have found if you can relate information that students need to know with something that they are familiar with. I will also use other strategies to help remember information such as the digit location on a vehicle identification (VIN) number. The eight digit on a VIN number identifies the engine that is installed in the vehicle. Since the word engine and eight start with the letter "e" it can be a way to remember that digit.

Comfortable environment vs. instant gratification

A couple of weeks ago, one student told me that for the first time he felt comfortable speaking in an ESL class. I was pleased. This was a conversation class and of course one big part of such a class is to facilitate communication and empower the students to speak freely. But I also noticed that other students felt shortchanged because they were not able to see tangible, measurable results. And I think that is one of the inherent scenarios of a conversation/speech class as opposed to a conventional grammar class: the student has more difficulty measuring how much he… >>>

Native language in ESL classroom

It was encouraging to read in this course the line "Instructors should also connect lessons to students' backgrounds and develop activities in which students can use their native languages." For too long it has been one of the sacred commandments in ESL classrooms not to allow the students to use their native language at any time and under any circumstance in our well intentioned efforts to replicate at all costs a natural learning environment. So ingrained is this view that students have come to demand this practice and thus complain every time the instructor allows it or even makes some… >>>

Needs to be a new generational category...

I strongly believe that there is a big gap between people/students who were born in 1980s and those born in the 1990s. Although both of these groups are dubbed Generation Y, I believe, based on my own classroom observations that many of the students who were born in the late 90s do not really share too much in common with those born in the 80s. It may be my perception or personal age biases, but today's "youth" doesn't seem to want to do anything for themselves and lack respect for elders and authority figures. Maybe it is time to come… >>>

Relevance

It was somewhat of an epiphany for me to see that, with access to all of the internet, these younger students need to understand the relevance of what they're learning. How do I communicate the relevance of something when what we're discussing is very basic/foundational and the explanation involves concepts and techniques that they won't even understand yet?

Boomers "optimistic"

Bit confused by some of the descriptions of boomers growing up distrusting authorities and being instructed to distrust banks and other institutions yet the is generation is also considered more optimistic.

Reasonable accommodations

As an Instructor there is something that I struggle with whenever I have a student with an accommodation. Lets use private testing as an example. If I am administering a test and then send a student out of the room. Am I not pointing out that this student is in some way different to the rest of the class? This has yet to be an actual problem but it is something that makes me uncomfortable. I feel as though I am outing that student.

Dyscalculia

How or what would be the best possible way of contributing to a student's success when encountering dyscalculia? Also, what could be offered to help students outside the classroom better understand what they learned in class?

setting students up for success or failure

I have been the ADA/504 coordinator on my campus for a little over a year now. In this time, I have seen many studnets overcome their challenges in life and be successful in their field of choice. On the other side of that, I have seen students who, in all reality, will have a difficult road at best in finding work and being successful in their career choice. We do all that we can to help them succeed in their programs, but at what point are we setting them up for failure when they get out into the workforce? We… >>>

Watch out for Career Ed Ethics and IT Policies

According to corporate policies, instructors are not supposed to be using social networking sites with students as suggested in this class' materials. Further this class should have reminded instructors that when using videos etc, they may be opening themselves up to copyright violations that must be considered.

CareerEd Emphasizes Books Too Much

Personally, given the demographic makeup of the classes that I am seeing today, I think CareerEd ignores generational theory completely by mandating that textbooks be used. In my class, the required text (required by CareerEd not chosen by me) is a waste of time and money and my students do not read the assignments. As discussed in this class, Millenials/Gen Yers, especially those in career-based institutions, want to see connections with real life experiences; they like to use technology; and have shorter attention spans requiring shorter pieces to read like articles or websites versus chapters in a textbook. Older students… >>>

gen y

how would you engage students from gen yin a clinical setting?

in classroom use of cell/lap tops etc.

I think it's good idea, now a days it easy to access medical web site to look up medications.

so many differences

I'm a gen x person but i can see myself as being some what gen y because technology has been important in my schooling.

gen y

very interesting topic. i was not fully aware of what everyone meant when they would say that we were gen x. now i sort of do.

Gen Y Tools

I have found that using tools like polleverywhere and survey monkey have increased student participation in the classroom. I am interested to know more abotu what others are using to increase engagement through the use of technology.

So, how did Gen Y get this way?

We all understand that technology has had a huge impact on Gen Y's learning style. What are the other factors that lead to some of the more difficult generational differences and what are the sources? I believe understanding Gen Y's development is key to teaching them effectively.