Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Great Information

The breakdown of what instructional style each generation typically responds to best is very helpful. It is interesting to me to use a blend and see which students respond to best, when the class is a generation blend as well. Do generations welcome the techniques of others?

Instructor Responsibility

Although it is the responsibility of the student with an identified disability to self-report, I think instructors have a responsibility to note behaviors, visual clues, and other telling factors to identify unreported disablility problems. There are those students who don't realize or understand they suffer a disability, and there are those who know or suspect they have a disability and ignore the problem.

instructing a gen.Y student

A gen Y student would rather have the info already submitted into a computer or they need to do it hands on so they can actually put 2 an 2 together. during a demonstration of the activity @ hand if the instructions are boring or to long the Gen Y student will get distracted and only half of the project will be done as per the instructions and the second half would be discussed

learning preferances

as the gen y student would rather sit on there buts and learn by reading we learned by doing. and then inputting the information so the next gen. would have it easier.

what is the differance

there is actually no differences in the generations we have all been discovering a better way to communicate or how to do something easier or how to get directions just to visit some one or to find a place. its just that todays computers and technology makes it so much easier. with out the previous generations we would not have the technology as precise as we have it now. so in other words we all put in our own two cents worth.

generation Y

the technology we have today seems like it is easier to find information . infact it is a lot easier and it helps us gain even more knowledge on the subject that we are inquiring more information on.

Conduct disorder/ODD

What is the difference between conduct disorder and ODD? How can a student be helped?

ODD

What is the best way to help someone with this disability?

my student learner

I have many students with all types of disabilities. We have made reasonable accomidations for them and they are doing just fine. I think knowing what their limitations are, helps you get the information to them better.

Veteran students.

I've seen a few trades students who are older veterans that seem to hide inside themselves when asked to present projects, speeches or demonstrations. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how you get them to actively participate.

Closing the gap on technology knowledge levels

What are the best strategies for learning for instructors so as to close the technology gap and understand the technology the students are proficient with?

What do you think the Gen Y AFTER Gen Y will be like

Something to consider, how will Gen Y act when in their 40s and 50s?

What does a Gen Y professor have to take into account teaching Gen Yer

With so many professors starting to come from this generation, what are things Gen Y professors have to take into account for?

The benefit of teaching a social media class

One huge advantage of teaching social media is that no sooner have you written the last line - than the first line is out of date. There are so many new applications and platforms that it just isn't possible to stay totally on top of the curve. By adopting a more questioning approach - I've found students are happy to talk about their favourite platform and even teach a class (a ten minute instructional workshop) in it. The old idea that the instructor is the holder of knowledge just doesn't work any more. Are there similar experiences in other subjects?

infringing on privacy

This is a question for me - certainly a five minute call at an unwelcome hour can be a pain - but when questions are left unanswered they can fester and end up with a student dropping. Up to this point I haven't minded the small inconveniences in exchange for the larger consequences of a drop - there might come a point when this is not so but, a stitch in time? What are your boundaries?

always one step beyond! JAPAN

I hadn't thought about this before - but as we grow up - unless there is an intervention - we are likely to repeat the past learning methods - In Japan they have regular conferences where hundreds of teachers will redefine (and refine) the methods of teaching to certain age groups. The more I get into teaching - the more I want to learn about it. .....oh, I guess I am!

What defines an "erosion of trust in authority"

In the previous module, the given example in Gen Y general "erosion of trust in authority" troubles me, as I see it politically askew. The given example is the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal. I would argue that scandals such as 1. Thomas-Hill; 2. Iran-Contra; 3. The 1992 L.A. Riots (to name only 3) are more persuasive examples that lead to an "erosion of trust in authority." I look forward to your thoughts and discussion.

Are cell phones really the distraction?

Are cell phones really the distraction responsible for disengaging your students? Most students have cell phones aka mobile devices and many of them are glued to them all day and night. Educators often view this as a major problem or distraction in their classrooms and I used to agree however in recent discussions while listening to an Instructor complain about the use of cell phones in their class it got me thinking. Is it really worth the energy it takes to police students utilizing their mobile devices? Hardly, in fact it’s a battle you will never win. I would rather… >>>

Ownership of Instruction

By entering into a clearly defined learning agreement with a student that spells out expectations and responsibilities it possble to help improve a student's perormance.

Smart Phone as a Preliminary Classroom Research Tool

It is possible for a student to help support a case they are making for a topic by supporting it with some preliminary information from the web using their smart phones.