Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Multiple Generations in the Same School

Our school is solely massage training that attracts all generations. The common psychographic of our students is a strong desire to help others. Does any one share the same experience? What are specifics tactics for running a class with all four generations?

Multi-Tasking

This module makes the point that Gen Yers are great at multi-tasking; that they are very comfortable listening to a lesson while searching the Internet for related information and texting with a friend.  In my experience, multi-tasking in the classroom is a distraction.  It distracts the student that is multi-tasking because he/she is not focused on the task at hand and will often ask for clarification or ask that the instructions be given again.  Consequently, valuable class time is taken up repeating instructions. Further, it distracts students around the student that is multi-tasking.  Accordingly, I have to disagree with the premise… >>>

Helo

Members discuss challenges & trends regarding the support of diverse student populations as well as successes applying concepts and techniques acquired from training. Members share best practices, ideas, & helpful resources to help colleagues across the globe improve performance.

Digital Natives Not Knowing How to Use Word

I have really enjoyed the readings in this course and love working with my Gen-Y students.  Something I have noticed, however, is that while most of my students are extremely comfortable with technology, many of them do not know how to type a paper in Word or use PowerPoint.  I need to include instruction in the basics in my lesson plans so that students may complete the two essays that are part of our curriculum.  As a Baby Boomer myself, I will never be as comfortable with technology as they are, although I do love it!  I also find that… >>>

Gen Y course

I learned a lot about Gen Y students and learning styles in the course. The most memorable discovery would be that I am actually from Generation Y! I always thought I was Gen X!

Online resources

We've cut down on "paperwork" by using online materials and resources rather than printing handouts.

VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS

For profit education schools tend to have a huge range of generational as well as learning types.

baby boomers

I am a baby boomer and agree with this topic so much.

The narrative approach with Gen Y learners

Hello, I am curious about the impact of dialogue that occurs in your classrooms, and the effective nature of this? I ask because in my years of working as a Psychology Instructor I have found it increasingly important to integrate a dialogue within the classroom that allows students to express their feelings, as well as to be able to reframe the course material into a context that is meaningful for the student. I evolved this strategy based on feedback from students, after taking this course it seems that this dialogue is relevant from a social scientific basis as well. I… >>>

generational group learning

I find that group study with different generations helps with classroom concept and it increases team work in class. In a recent cohort, I have found out that a class I have all meet together to study off campus. I am told that concepts are identified and discussed. All must give input but they are most interested by the gen x perspective.

Job security bersus Passion

A lot of the younger generation wants to work but are not sure of which field? how do I help them??

Impact of social media

Are students capable to look beyond interenet?

All Together Now

As a Culinary Instructor, one aspect that helps me with some of the differences between generations is our lessons require physical, hands on application. Vets and Baby Boomers cannot rely only on memorization and Gens. Y and X cannot rely soley on the internet. They certainly need to understand the proper techniques but they must physically and properly execute this knowledge if they expect to be successful. These hands-on requirements help all in the class be on the same learning page regardless of their age.

Instructional strategies

I am incorporating many different strategies to reach students. our College uses a Contract for Sucess to help students take ownership of learning.

Technology

I have found that technology is a great tool but I have had to spend time letting some students know that they are not to text the entire class.

Small groups

doing book work and moving from task to task has really helped with the development of students

Gen Y

Students from different generations have many different things that help them. I have noticed as I let more technology in to lessons the students do much better.

Gen Y Small Groups

Do you think the desire for Gen Y's to work in small groups vs individuals is linked to the idea that they are expected to succeed and are closely watched for this success. As in they have pressure/desire not to fail, so feel more safe working in a group setting?

Great Information

The breakdown of what instructional style each generation typically responds to best is very helpful. It is interesting to me to use a blend and see which students respond to best, when the class is a generation blend as well. Do generations welcome the techniques of others?

Instructor Responsibility

Although it is the responsibility of the student with an identified disability to self-report, I think instructors have a responsibility to note behaviors, visual clues, and other telling factors to identify unreported disablility problems. There are those students who don't realize or understand they suffer a disability, and there are those who know or suspect they have a disability and ignore the problem.