Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Multi-Tasking

This module makes the point that Gen Yers are great at multi-tasking; that they are very comfortable listening to a lesson while searching the Internet for related information and texting with a friend.  In my experience, multi-tasking in the classroom is a distraction.  It distracts the student that is multi-tasking because he/she is not focused on the task at hand and will often ask for clarification or ask that the instructions be given again.  Consequently, valuable class time is taken up repeating instructions. Further, it distracts students around the student that is multi-tasking.  Accordingly, I have to disagree with the premise that they can multi-task well.  In my experience, doing many things does not necessarily translate into doing many things well.  

@ecfleet

Thank you for your post, Eric.  My feeling has always been that even though generation Yers love to multi-task, multi-tasking should not be encouraged in every situation, particularly in the classroom.  Our experiences are showing daily in the classroom that many such students who concentrte on multi-tasking in the classroom rather than engage directly witheir instructors end up doing poorly in the course.  Our own individual experiences also show that learning is enhanced by concentration and focus.  Distractions never aid any learning process.  Even the highway patrol men have seen that drivers who text, phone, etc., while driving are daily experiencing accidents, some of which are fatal.  That is why many laws are being enacted to enhance complete concentration while on the highway.  Multi-tasking in the clasroom setting does not work at all.  

Multi tasking????  Excellence needs focus and concentration.  My courses are extremely accelerated and the class time it limited.  

I agree with your statement about multi-tasking.  It is very disruptive and I constantly find myself being asked to repeat things to the ones who are guilty of multi-tasking.  The best way I have found to deal with my multi-taskers is to take them to my office and, explain to them that multi-tasking is very disruptive to the learning enviroment. 

Sign In to comment