Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

nice

very nice post!

great

great topic

generations

It is important to learn as much as you can about each generation.

Career Services - Autism Spectrum

I am looking for good resoures to better assist stduents on the Autism spectrum with interview skills.  Is anyone training employers to work with these stduents?

Initiating Critical Thinking

Has anyone found any strategies that are particularly useful in developing critical thinking skills?

I enjoyed the review.

I am a Boomer who has been in education for over 35 years. I enjoyed the review and found it interesting to see the generational generalizations.  It was nice to review these concepts. 

generational learning

This is great infomation as to how to incorporate my Baby Boomer educational learning style to current Gen Y technology learning.

ODD

How do you divert negative behavior whren dealing with an ODD student.

When you know a student does not comprehend English well, what do you do to help them understand the material?

There are a number of ELL students in our school and I have had many in my classrooms.  Some understand English better than others.  How to you help the student who does not understand English very well understand the material without embarrassing them?

Personal responsibility

I myself am a late-boomer/early-genxer. Something instilled in me early on was personal responsibility, I.E. the need to manage the burdens of school, bills, and social obligations. I will admit it took me a while. I notice in certain instances with GenY learners that they need constant reminding of deadlines. Perhaps there's a tech tool that I might incorpoarte where these students can take ownership of these issues?

what are some good ways to have them use their phones?

Other than simply looking something up, are there ways I can have students use their devices to enhance a group learning experience?

Reset the final exam

Reset the final exam

Can not retake final exam

Preparing students for the real world while adapting to their learning style

I have found success by discussing the outcome of their efforts in class and how it relates to the path toward employment. Using discussions, start with their goals and work "backwards" through the steps and objectives of the class to achieve their goals.  During that discussion I find two things happen.  First, the students imediately realize the class objectives and relevency, and second it gives me an idea of the best learning methods to use in presenting the material.  Students quickly gain ownership in the subject matter because they now feel somewhat familiar with it.  They are more willing to actively… >>>

Being Generation Y

This online format fits the way I have come to expect to learn. I was born in 1990, right in the middle of Gen Y life. I used my grasp of technology to quickly move through this course and ingest the material. Interesting!

Interacting with Technology

One of the things I  learned from this was that we must be careful that technology does not negate what we are wanting the students to actually take from the courses.  I have several students who are very tech savvy; however, the few that aren't are sometimes reluctant to engage in technology.  Any advice? I've had them join a personal group on Facebook and ask them questions to promote critical thinking skills.  I was just curious to see if anyone had this problem.  Thanks!

Peggy

Generation Y

What technology tends to work best for teaching generation y students?   

Learning Process.

What is he best way to learn?

Understanding Generations

Will each generation ever understand one another?