Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult Learner Motivation

1.Internal based
2. Improve job skills
3. Must be relevant
4. Adjust to stages of life

Thank you for this post, Michael. How do these motivations manifest themselves in your classrooms? How do you leverage these motivations in your instruction?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I find that it takes me approx. 2-3 days to identify the learner styles of my students and then plan each day trying to incorporate a variety of learning "pieces" under the same topics of the day. This way I find I reach more of the several learning styles according to Gardner,Rogers, Knowles,etc. I teach according to my plan and then tactfully allow the student to arrive at the last teaching segment of the day. It may be role playing, research, group involvment,or a reiteration by myself on the days subjects and topics of learning.I find this "mixture of learning styles" to be very effective and more of my students understand the days lessons....Chef Mitch Becker CCC,CCE

Mitchell,

Thank you for this post. What are some specific things you do to identify each student's learning style so quickly?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I teach in a dental hygiene program and our adult students must take and pass several board exams in order to receive their license to practice. One of the strongest motivational tools in my teaching is the emphasis on this concept: the information and skills I teach are required for successful completion of the board exams. The students realize the what stakes they have in learning, which motivates them to keep engaged.

Tanya,

We have had great success with programs that begin preparing students for the required licensure or certification exams from the verty first class meeting. What are some ways you get your students ready?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I get my students ready for their professional licensure exam by providing one-on-one hands-on clinical instruction and evaluation of their performance so they know where they stand in their training. In the classroom, I place special emphasys on the information that I feel has a high probability of appearing on the National Board Exam, which makes the students place greater value on retaining this information.

Tanya,

We have fount that, in careers requiring licensure or certification, starting to ready students for the test from day one has been very effective. Basically, students are so well versed with the content and type of the exam questions that the actual exam turns sout to be a bit boring. What are the most effective strategies you use for preparing your students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

In our program, we prepare our students for four different board exams, some clinical and others --didactic. The didactic exams are complex and by no means boaring to the graduates. We repeatedly expose our students to every aspect of the subject matter from various angles in both, theory and practice. Concepts learned in the classroom are constantly reinforced on the clinic floor. Our program is accelerated, which makes it challenging to introduce and review the material in a timely manner.

Tanya,

Thank you for this post. We havehad success following the same principles you address here. One thisn that may help students who are pressed for time is to provide them with challenging activities that requiire them to practice outside of their time with you.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment