Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Theories Of Learning

Out of all the factors discussed that influence learning does one trump over the other or they all equally weighted?

Michael,
Great question and is a question that is still being debated by many researchers. I think the one thing that influences learning the most is the desire and passion of the student in relation to school success. Many students are thankful they have the opportunity to be in school so they will use what ever learning medium they can to acquire the information needed for movement toward their chosen career.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One old bromide is that adults will only learn what they want to. That indeed has been my experience. Especially when adults need to learn new ways of doing something, and change is difficult, they have to want to learn the new way. Part of an educator's job, then, is to keep the reason for learning before the student at all times. That opens the student up to patience and gives energy to tackle both abstract and concrete dimensions of the content.

Patricia,
You make a very good point about the hows and whys of learning. Knowing this going in should help us to hone our approach so we make sure we are offering what it is they need and want to learn. This is how we will be able to retain them and their attention.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I don't think we could ever presume that they are equally weighted. I think a better question is over the course of a life time do they all equally influence learning? Certainly an influence in one situation could out weigh or trump another depending on the learning situation at hand.

I believe that most of my students are visual or tactile learners. I have only had a handful that are auditory, yet most teachers lecture. I think it is important to reach all learning types.

Trinity,
Right you are so this is why it is important to share information in different ways so the students can use their different preferences and expand their knowledge base.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Hello Gary,

I do agree an adult student does notted a desire and passion. Even if not passionate, I feel the desire is key. I can tell which students have that desire, mostly. Appreciating the experience can be learned as the students makes a decision to learn.

Best wishes, Wynell

Wynell,
Good point and thank you for making it. Desire does take a person a long way toward their goals and success. We instructors need to help our students to understand their desire for success and then build on it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment