Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different Teaching Tools

I employ many different teaching tools such as lecture, power-point and Youtube video as a means to help my students retain information.

You Tube videos are a real asset in teaching today - and I get the best ones when I send the students looking for them. Videos are often humorous, which is key to keeping attention and for putting a course into perspective in the overall complex lives of the students.

Even more important are the graphics that the students build for themselves. Because they build them and teach them to me and the rest of the class, they really know the information when they are done.

Patricia,
Yes, they are an asset. I imagine that most of us use them in our classes because they are easy to access and help to reinforce our point in another media format and that is what engages learners.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

what happens if cant use youtube for your class

Mike,
I would look for another media form to use. Maybe you can get access to illustrations or graphic displays that show the students what you would be showing them via utube.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I utilize hands on, one on one, videos

Shelley,
Can you give some examples of how these strategies work for you? Thanks.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Youtube is a great tooll for learning and there ar so many more media site you could utilize as a teach tool.

Beverly,
Yes it is because there are some many videos that can be integrated into the instructional process to support the concepts you are teaching as well as engage the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use ongoing visual quizzes, that are not graded, and on occasion not scheduled, which brings out the competitive nature in students and also make it somewhat fun for them.

I do the same as well, especially with all the technology that we have now. Every once and awhile I will show a funny/silly video just to break up the intense information of the class. Students seem to like this. I also like to bring in different intangable things (like golf clubs) to bring the concept together and the students can visualize in their hands.

I have used lecture, power points, hands-on activities and role playing when working with my clinical students. I am now integrating Youtube videos into my curriculum and I'm getting very favorable responses from my students. An excellent point that my director made is that during a 5-hour evening class, a student may start 'drifting' because they are listening to and watching the 'same instructor' all night long. When an instructional Youtube video is played, the students get the opportunity to listen to and watch another person who looks, speaks and presents the information "differently" from the one who is in the classroom. I have found that this technique revitalizes their interest and is a refreshing change. The student have told me that this 'change of pace' has helped them in their retention of new information.

Heather,
Good strategy to follow. I teach from 4 until 10 pm so I can appreciate the challenge you have in teaching a 5 hour evening class since I do the same. The more change of pace and variety you can introduce to the class the better because this is how you are going to keep tired students engaged for the duration.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We use web based modules, class discussion, hands on training, and written evaluations. PowerPoint is also a part of our classes. It is always evolving, which keeps it fresh...

QUINTIN,
Good approach and good way to keep students engaged. This sets the stage for exciting learning opportunities and enhanced student growth.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Yes, I tend to use some of the same teaching aids and tools to keep education fun, interesting, and exciting.

Due to copyright infringements, we have to be careful on what information and pictures we share with or show students. So, to break up the monotony, I like to play pre made electronic Jeopardy games with the students. Of course the Jeopardy subjects match the course material. The students get very competitive and they have a blast while learning and working together as teams. This helps break tension, increases peer to peer teaching, gets all students involved without pressure from the instructor, drives home the subject matter and allows me to add tidbits of information during the game with full attention from the students. Also works as a great review of the course material.

Don,
I have a similar Jeopardy game I use in my field and my students love to play it. We have a lot of fun and the students get very competitive in their effort to answer the questions. Great way to prepare and review for a quiz.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I often use unscheduled tests that are not a part of the student's grade to give them an example of their ongoing progress. The tests include information from previous courses as art of their gauge of accumulated knowledge.

Tom,
Your students can get a check for knowledge outcome from this activity. This way they can see how much they have learned and what are some areas that they need to concentrate on if as they expand their knowledge and skill sets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment