Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that it takes a lot of effort to undo the damage of a single negative person, and they may not even know that they are being that way. The other thing that stuck out to me is finding the "want to" in the "have to".  I could see that being applied to students as well. I've had students tell me they were tired, they had too much to do, and balancing school was difficult. they feel they have to do homework, and they have to go to class, they don't have to, they can fail, they can get kicked out of school, but finding that motivation and that want will make a difference.  Wanting to do your homework, so you can graduate, or get a better job, or have more opportunites is looking at the situation in an optomistic light. 

Share a smile, remain positive, and upbeat, and model consistent positive behavior.

Organizationl culture is important to enhance the community of students.  It leaves a lasting impression. 

I enjoyed reading the section about "Want To" versus "Have To." I like the advice that could be given to anyone which is that if you change your thinking you could find a Want To in every Have To.

Team Work, Team Work, Team Work...the key to a successful classroom, work environment.  Being posiitive and focusing on the "Glass half full".  

The whole school has to be positive for students to more forward in life.

It is hard sometimes to be positive, but it really does help me and my students

Creating, enhancing, and maintaining a positive, effective, and successful culture is a skill that I have intentially worked on improving on for myself since being a leader. I believe the culture sets the tone for all staff and in our case as a career college, also for our students (and for their clients on the salon clinic floor). Culture is the basis for why we do what we did, it is the underlying current that is driven by our mission and perpetuated by staff who believe in what we're doing and work towards promoting that to other staff and to our students. To instill culture is a long-term venture but one that can be ultimately rewarding and create a more successful environment. Turning people's attitudes and outlooks from "we're the forgotten ones," or "they don't want to help us," to "we're the best because we do our best," and "they'll give us what we need to succeed," was one of my biggest challenges taking over a campus last year. Now with seven managers under my scope, it's proven even more tricky to get each of them to a similar page and then to create that buy-in at their respective campuses. 

Everyone in the school should approach students with an intelligent heart.

Clearly communicating the Organizational vision and goal so that every department is working towards it is important. Without each part working together it makes for a bumpy, wobbly ride for the students and staff. 

Positivity and support will both push students further than just teaching the material alone. Students need support and someone to build their confidence. 

Being positive. 

Working with students their are many different types and adapting to each type and figuring out how to help and encourage them is the rewarding part for me. My last class I was there cheer leader and encouraged them by telling them the finish line is around the corner few more weeks. The school closed abruptly and I still encouraged them to pursue their dreams not to stop keep going apply to new schools. Many students felt defeated until the encouragement from staff to continue helped them to focus on the future not to dwell on the past.

In my opinion this is the key to be successfull. Having organization within the team is so important to be able to provide a guidance for our students. The success of a well organized team is the success of a student. 

Remind students why they started school, they will re-inspire themselves. 

One of the main things that I learned in this module was that we must have an organizational culture that does not include negativity and is driven by positive and uplifting thoughts about our students and their abilities to succeed, as well as the long term goals of the organization. We must all come together, in all departments, with the same vision and shared goals - quality, excellence, and success. As mentioned in a previous module, "the self-efficacy theory suggests that we can change our beliefs about our ability to cause things to happen". With this in mind, we can determine the outcomes of our organization based on our beliefs. Our focus should always be the success of our students. If we hear negative comments or sarcasm (often thought of as humor) we must do our best to avoid joining in the negativity and instead help others to be more positive and "see the light". We must remember our WHY. If an employee is not on board with the shared vision and long term goals of organization then they must re-evaluate if the organization is the right place for them. As employees of the school, student success and retention is significantly impacted by our ability to have positive expectations of our students and support them in their journey.

I really liked the focus on positivity! It's imperative that we all embrace a culture of positivity in order to be successful as an institution. 

The student success should be our short and long term goal.

Team work is very important if you want to succeed. Every department must work together to achieve the same ultimate goal. When there is disorder it affect everyone including the students.

Positive attitudes are the best and the team must discourage negativities 

Sign In to comment