Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I personally like to keep an eye on students and if I see any starting to come close to fqailing I pull them aside and have a chat with them. the earlier the intervention the better outcome

What I learned from this chapter is, we need to take cake of the students, learn about there behavior, and act if some symptoms occur.  We teachers are responsible to teach and keep the students in school

Everyone within the organization must be focused on the Student's success. Everyone must empathize with the student and not send the perceived message that "It's hour problem, not the schools." We must always send strong signals that we care about the student.  

I learned that most often attrition is a result of some form of stress. If a student is unable to cope with stress they may end up resorting to easingtheir stress level by withdrawing from school. It is important for school personnel to have some understanding of stress dynamics in order to be better able to intervene at the right time (and hope to prevent a studentfrom quitting).

Academic Erosion that leads into Stagnation can be prevented through intervention of concerned faculty for the success of the student.  This can be achieved by several methods, but being invested in the success of the student and providing several destressors to assist in their learning can prevent this from occurring.

As the instructor, it is my responsibility to know my students and know how to help the work through the stress of which academics can put on the student. By doing this, is teaching them time management and stress releaving techniques. If we do not prepare and know our students, how will we know how to help them when chaos occurs. 

Academic Erosion is an internal driver of student's wanting to leave an educational environment.  I used to think of this as big fish in a little pond being moved to a big pond and not being able to survive.  Now I view this as an opportunity to help the student overcome the insecurity they are feeling and aid them in adjusting to the enviornment and providing supports that will help them thrive through the difficulty.  

Understanding the psychological aspect is key to addressing and overcoming challenges and stressors.

What I have learned is that there are any number of reasons why students can struggle, but there are very clear answers on what our role is as educators to motivate students to continue.

Not to enforce rule on the student while under stress

You must believe in the success of the student to help them believe and see it in theirselves sometimes. Stress affects us all in many ways and if we  can identify the root earlier on by being in the right place, right time for a student we can catch those feelings and prevent attrition by providing better support.

A student's stress level is also affected by their perception of if they feel important and cared about in the classeoom and by the school. Keeping their eye on their big goals and dreams will help them persist.

I have learned about the general adaptation syndrome and, how as higher education staff and personel, we can intervene early on to support students. As students feel they are falling behind their peers or that there education isn't going to place them in a better spot, students lose hope and belief in the institution and their education. This leads them to stop studying and leave the institution. If we focus on preventing attrition before it happens and remediating before the downward part of the general adaptation syndrome then we can keep students aligned with and working towards their academic and professional goals.

The way the student sees the school as caring about them and their goals is critical.

Attrition is a combination of multiple things.  The student could stop because they have earned a diploma and need money and want to work.  They have decided to stop because family life has gotten to hard.  You never know what is going on with the student outside of school.  Sure it takes a village to run a program and an institution but it also takes hard work and dedication which sometimes the younger generation doesn't have.

I did not realize the importance of being able to recognize students stress and the value of showing that the institution cares and is involved with the success of students, and the impact it has on retention.

It is important to help students identify developing problems.

The easiest way to deal with being overly stressed is to eliminate or to escape the stressors.

Everyone in the institution must understand that student success is the primary measure of institutional success.

Demonstrating respect and concern are vitally important in conveying we are there to support our students' success

Sign In to comment