Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

connecting and listening

The commitment of the school can change the student's perception and encourage their desire to remain in school. Encourage students by demonstrating a commitment to them. 

Stressors contribute greatly to attrition so it is our main responsability as student services to ensure our students feel supported and get the support they need to stay in the program and aviod attrition. 

I think everyone knows that stress is not helpful in college. You have to aware of the stressors for the students and make sure to understand that and make it so it is easier. 

I have learned that there are multiple factors that impact attrition.

Students need a good relationship with a faculty member who cares about them. They also need to receive good service. I will make sure that my colleagues and I provide friendly and responsive service to students.

There are many factors that contribute to attrition. Student percieved stressors are a major factor to them dropping out of school. 

In this section, I've learned the importance of being attentive. Attentive to students' reactions to a poor grade, confusion of a topic, attendance , etc. and distributing reassurance correctly. 

Understanding the cycle of stress gives school personnel an opportunity to intervene at the onset of shock. It was interesting to learn about "Academic Erosion Stress" and "Academic Stagnation Stress." A student just yesterday told me she feels inadequate as compared to her peers and that her perception was that her peer were looking down on her. She was definitely experiencing Academic Erosion Stress.

Stress plays a major role on how students feel regarding their accademic success. If a student is feeling small and insignificant related to academic struggles, they are more likely to drop out. Being supportive and helpful to the students, providing them with timely feedback on assignments/exams/whatever will help decrease that stress and help them be successful and stay in the program. 

The most important thing I learned from this segment on attrition is that Academic Erosion and Academic Stagnaion are the strongest specific influences on attrition. Feeling like you are unimportant and have hit a dead end changes the perception for the student on the school's committment. 

Everyone is a part of retaining students. When students know the faculty members, program director and Dean.

Previously I expressed that working with the academic counselor or support groups of the institutions, the situations presented by the students is the best way to minimize the stressors and at the same time help them to remain to achieve their academic goal. 

As faculty we must show our students that our commitment is real and honest.

Identifying the actual source of stress may assist a student and keep them engaged. 

What have I learned from this module?

1. Several factors contribute to retention, come we can control and others we cannot.
  2. Stress is a big factor in students deciding to drop.

How do I intend to apply it?

1. Try to eliminate school as a stressor by offering assistance and reinforcing the end result.
  2. Work with students to keep a positive attitude about school. 

Attrition rates of the result of multiple factors. It is our responsibility to ensure we are understanding our students' needs to help retain them.

Maintaining trust and communication with each other at all times, because stress will always be play a part at some point in life however it is how you  overcome it. By having a strong, positive support TEAM...

i learned that..

"Academic Erosion (feeling unimportant) and Academic Stagnation (feeling dead-ended) are the strongest specific influences on attrition, and their effect is increased or decreased by the perceived level of School Commitment."

therefore, our commitment to student success means reognizing a potential stressor and exhausting all measures within ones means to encourage, assist and help the student in any way possible so that the student not only continues in school but succeeds as well.

It is important for faculty to identify early on the source of student's problems and stress to resolve the matter before students resort to dropping out. In addition faculty play an important role in changing student's perceptions of their academic status and their future. Therefore, we need to always be encouraghing and helpful!

Sign In to comment