Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The First Impression

A smile and a short hello how are you doing will go along way to making a good first impression

On the first day of class, I try to always be there as the students begin arriving to welcome them to the class with a smile and a little small talk. Hopefully this eases their stress and opens the door to future dialogue as the class progresses.

I have found that I can be very mission or task focused and if I am not careful I do not pay a lot of attention to those around me. I have to remind myself that smiling, stopping to speak and being open and friendly are important parts of my job.

First, I should smile and say hello and introduce myself, letting them know that I am there to assist them in any way that I can in achieving their goals. Let them know that I am happy that they have chosen my school to pursue their career goals and reinforce that they have made the right deccision. Always smile and always ask an open ended question of them so that I can listen to what they have to say and provide support in their comments, so they know that I care about them as a person and their aspirations or issues.

Body language and facial expression is important in that first few seconds. A smile certainly helps and your eyes and body language approach displays that you are genuinely interested in this student. If done right, they will not forget you and will feel more comfortable to approach you next time.

Mark...you are an "intellegent heart."

Next rotation I'm going to be at the door and invite each student in as though they were a guest at my home.

A first impression should be a great one with your students therefore,a simple smile and even a good morning/good afternoon etc, will do the trick.

Let your students know that they mattered. Empathize with them and share they concerns if you must. Students wants to also see that you respect them. They dont want to feel like you are talking down to them. Another point to make is, looking into your students eye when you speak to them.

I personally dont say hello, I rather simply give hand shakes or a hug. I come to find out that a lot of my sometime just need to to held because we dont what kind of a morning or day that they might have or having.

be polite and professional

People form a first impression within the first 2 to 5 seconds. What do you think about that? Why do you think we do that?

I agree with your answer, Mark. It is good to initially show your interest in the student's needs. I also try to do the same with the students at my school. If they can relate to you, they will feel more comfortable and have a positive influence right away.

Thank you,
Christine

Letting them know the privilege that is having them as students with a friendly face

Smiling and looking students in the eyes creates a friendly face.

If 2 to 5 seconds is what we have, the way we look is very important. We need to look professional.

A Smile will go a long way with the students . If you project a negative appearance it relates to a negative attitude. By saying a simple hello, indicates that you are aware of the students existance and care that they are there. It is easy to bring a persons feelings down, but it takes a little help and interest to bring the feelings back up.

The focus has to start from day one and continue from then on. The student has to feel that you care about him/her as an individual and your goal is for him/her to succeed. From the time I meet with them at orientation, I want the student to know that I'm there to help them as a person and as a student. I let them know that together we can start the education journey now and together we can cross the stage at graduation. Also, together we can work through any challenge that happens during the process. It's important that the student knows that you care about him/her not only as a student but also as a person and that you are willing to work with them from the beginning to succeed in getting their degree.

Your statement shows that you truly have an "Intelligent Heart" and are practicing it daily.

First and foremost with a smile and introducing myself in a friendly manner. Letting my students know that I am approachable is essential to my success as well as theirs.

Sign In to comment