Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The class picture is a great idea. Also having someone working in the field come and talk about the profession might inspire the students.

My intitution has a strong overall orientation program, which really make the role of faculty members preminent. In the first, although my focus is to actually teach a class, I always start with practical examples that demonstrate the commilment of the school to their success.

Ask them to introduce themselves and give 3 details:
(1) why they decided to enroll
(2) most important thing in their life or that they want to share
(3) a way we will all remember them (my response in school was "you will always hear!" - talkative)

Students who finished the Externship,always stop by to share with me their experience and how everything they learned in class they applied at their Externship site.This always happens when I start a new Course and graduates share with a new class their learning experiences while in school, also their experience during Externship, many of them getting hired at the end of the Externship.I think that when a new student finds out from a recent Graduate that all their efforts while in school payed off ,they would become more motivated and also confident about choosing to get the training in a new career.Having these "guest speakers" the first week of a new course helps tremendously,especially that it wasn't scheduled in advance.

I begin by introducing myself and telling them about my educational history and then asking them to do the same. This helps everyone learn a little about each other and makes the students more comfortable talking to myself and one another.

I use myself as the bridge to connected my students to the college. I tell them how I am a product of the institution. How much I love and appreciate the opportunity to have sat where they are not sitting . I do this to build a sense of pride for the college so that when they leave they want to come back.

After completing Module 4, I found that we should include more activities outside of class, during the first week. The visit from potential employers and calls from Admissions reps to check in on the students both seemed like very good ideas that we do not currently participate in.

Find out about their goal. Background e.g education, work experience, family.

I haven't had the opportunity to be involved with an orientation, but I can see that orientation is an important part of the students success. I've viewed all of the tips. I can see where having a personal orientation is important for those that arrive late in the week. I see where having an initial assignment is important. I can see where having name tags for the first few days is important for the instructor. I can see where the quality of the assignments and appropriate behavior is also important.

I always like to start the first class with some type of ice breaker activity. I usually have an activity that will allow the students to learn more about each other and myself. For example, if I have a class that has been together for a while I will have each of them and myself write something on a piece of paper that others do not know about themselves. I then read each one and have them guess whos is whos. This usually breaks the tension of being the first day, they learn more about each other, and creates a positive atmosphere.

I do the same. I feel if you open up a little at the beginning it makes connections easier and students trust you more.

Sebastian,

I agree! This is excellent timing as the recent graduate who just had a successful externship experience is probably very motivated and excited--that is encouraging for new students.

Susan Backofen

During the first week(s) of class I introduce the students to some of the staff members we will be interacting with outside of the classroom, as well as the equipment that we do not have in our labs. I encourage the class to exchange contact information with each other and address with each student their concerns about our class, if needed I promptly direct the student to the appropriate resource officer.

Provide them with a welcoming email about where to go the first day and the agenda for the day. Be there early to welcome students. Start class with instructor introductions and then have students share one piece of information about themselves that they would like their classmates to know.

I always welcome my students and tell them a little about myself and my experience. It really helps students feel free to talk about themselves and their goals.

I have experienced the use of a "scavenger" hunt of sorts where the students receive clues or questions to go to the various departments and meet staff. This can be done is many assorted ways that will best suit your institution and class schedules. It is also a great way to allow the students to get to know you. My campus did such and event with "culture week" where the staff and faculty demonstrated items from their heritage and the students brought around a passport with was signed off by each staff member identifying his or her country or state of origin. This was great fun for all involved and helped to show and embrace the diversity of the school.

I like to have the students introduce themselves to each other and to give them time to talk about their goals, and what they think nursing is. They usually find out during this time, who lives where and start to form relationships. I also discuss the activities planned for the day such as one for lecture, then open book quizzing, etc.

I try to implement some of the ideas that was mention is this module. But one that may need more attention is the late starts or the students that miss their scheduled orientation. I do a brief review of classroom guidelines, expectations, assignments, and I still allow time for the students to get familiar with the other students.

Since it is an online program, provide the opportunity for students to meet their instructors, meet other students and interact with both parties. Introducing Career Services and providing contact information is also a great way to start the program.

I introduce myself to the class sharing professional and some personal information. I then ask the students to introduce themselves to the class. I advise them that every week they will work on their public speaking skills and be given topics to choose from by me. This process has permitted the students to learn about each other in a small intimate way due to the topic selections.

Sign In to comment