Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important for the new students to feel welcome. After orientation, we introduce the students to the resource center and library. The school store is also introduced. We have coffee and bagels available to them in the lounge. Personally, I tried to greet them in the morning by name. I think it is important that they know we recognize them as an individual.

I introduce myself anad tell them a little bit about my professional background, than I ask them to do the same,

By giving a very thorough orientation and explaining things in a rel live manner so that students can relate to what is being relayed I think would help student become more engaged.

On the last day of class during the first week, it might be useful to implement an "Expectations vs. Reality" activity. Have the students each give an example of one expectation they had of the first day of week, and express whether their true experience was a match.

I like to get to know my students via group activities and other ice breakers. After introductions, we all share some small facts about ourselves. For myself, I let students know why I am in the field I am, what I like to do outside of class, and so forth. I'm also working on my M.Ed degree, so I think students can relate to the fact that I work in the field, I'm teaching them about that field, and I'm also a student myself. And that connection/relationship is a good one to establish, especially with new students.

I use a interactive lecture/demo/lab format that allows the students to be fully immersed in the subject matter I'm teaching... It gives them the sense of ownership, teamwork and personal success.

Student ambassadors are used to introduce the new students to subjects, computer work, hands-on materials, other students, library, restrooms, break room, etc...

Although all of this is covered during the initial interview and orientation is really sinks home on the first days when the ambassadors walk them around and show them what's important to the typical student. It makes them feel part of the college experience immediately.

During my introductory period of day one of class, I inform my students of how I once was a student, sitting in the exact same chair. After spending over ten years in the field I returned to the school to teach. I relate some of the challenges and unique things i learned at the time, then i will ask the students what some of their unique learning items they have picked up from prior classes.

Sara,

Excellent! This is a wonderful idea and a great way to 'close the loop' on some processes.

Susan Backofen

We use this idea everytime! It really helps the student relax to have refreshments and meet eachother with less presure, and very reassuring to have a recent grad there.

What process can you implement that will enhance your first week activities and make students more connected to your college?
1. Buddy system
2. Set-up in groups for group collaboration
3. Have seniors and grads come back and
share their experiences when they first
started

I will have the students exchange email and/or phone numbers with the students on either side of themselves. I will incorporate more small groups activities.

The first day of class after going over the required information(course syllabus,homework assignments,grading,etc.),I tell them a story about my adventure into and through my career. I encourage them to ask me questions. I reinforce my availability for tutoring. i learn their names immediately.I give them a Minute CAT Test that asks them: 1. What is the most interesting thing they learned today; 2. What is the most important thing they learned today; 3. What is the least interesting topic that I covered today; 4. What other topics they would like presented in the future.

Gordon,

This sounds wonderful! And based on your story telling, I am sure that is one of the things they indicated they found most interesting :)

Susan Backofen

At our facility here, we ask what everyone expects from our facility and then we tell them what we will be going through and what they can expect from us. At our trade school, there may be some book work involved but the hands on is where it is at.

It is vital that new students feel a connection during the first week of school, this impacts retention as well as student success. It is our policy to have a calendar of planned events posted and available to all students for the term at the start of every term. These events are student focused, most often student clubs will invite new students to meetings and have fun events during this time. It is important that faculty make each individual student feel welcome to every class. I feel that standing at the door of the class and greeting students as they walk into class is a good start.

daniel,

I think this is a great way to set appropriate expectations by asking them what they expect. That provides you with information on how to best bring everyone in to agreement and get off on the right foot.

Susan Backofen

I try to get to know all my students on an individual basis. I also take them to all of the different buildings and training areas to get them excited about what they will be learning in my program.

On the first day before going over the required paperwork, I have students introduce themselves to the class. I ask them fun questions such as "favorite food" to lighten the mood, but I also ask them why they chose to be here. Many students are there for the same reason and they feel a sense of belonging in the college.

Each administration personal wears name tags with our titles on them for the first week of school. We go into the classroom and introduce ourself again and tell them what "our responsibility" to them is. That we are all hear to help them succed in reaching their goal.

I keep a bowl of candy in my office and they are invited to come in and have a piece but in exchange for that they have to tell me their name and one thing about themselves. This helps me learn their names and faces.

If I have a student from a different country I have them teach me to say "good morning" in their native tongue so I can greet them that way when I see them.

Sign In to comment