Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I start out with introductions. This puts students at ease when they talk about themselves.

anthony,

....and I also think it shows them that everyone needs to learn the material. I doubt you have many pass it the first day :)

Susan Backofen

I like to take time to break the ice with my students. I like to do an activity with them that allows them to get to know one another and myself. I also have them take a little quiz on their learning style and have an open discussuion on what their goals are and why they chose this field.

The 'main' class I teach is Nutrition and the 1st lecture covers the first 3 chapters in the textbook which is quite complex. My first class allows for, at the best, 15 minutes for distributing the syllabus, explaining grades, quizzes, tests & final project; reminding the students of the attendance policy & dress code; and any other non-lecture topics.
One thing I have done is this: I have a collection of comics or other print media that have some connection with nutrition, e.g. NesQuik built an ad campaign around Broccoli-Quik as an April Fool's joke one year and I have that projected on the wall. Class 2 had about 50% of the students looking for a similar projection each week.
Any ideas on just one thing I could implement that increases the student's sense of connection but does not add to the time constraints? Perhaps some sort of handout to go with the syllabus?

Brian,

Actually, I think that making the first class 'valuable' from a content standpoint is good. They get right in to the subject and feel like it was worthwhile. I think some students miss the first day because they think they won't really miss anything.

Susan Backofen

The first week I do “ice breakers”. The students pretty much know each other by the time I see them, so I like to do activities which basically helps me to get to know them and vice versa. It works well and the students become more relaxed with the new instructor for the new term.

I make a seating chart based on where the students chose to sit. This allows me to learn students' names quickly. I feel it personalizes the classroom if I call them by name right from the start. It shows that I care about them as individuals.

"Getting to know you" activity, like Anna, in The King And I. We all share a hobby or interest.

Spend a lot of time in socialization of the class. Develop different activities that promote interaction between the students, this will help create a bonding experience with each other as well as with the instructor.

coffee and donuts in the break room, social settings always allow for small talk. Games using ice breakers are also fun, and then using teams to have basic medical terminology is also a fun way to get things going. I always like to show my favorite video's. They are incise and drain abscesses. The students love and hate them at the same time. But they all laugh and they never forget.

Instructors introduce themselves and then before going over classroom material, ask students what they want to get out of the course and what their expectations are. Then the instructor includes some of the responses when going over their expectations and course material.

I would implement an activity that pulls out of the student's possible reasons why classes are missed or students drop out. Sometimes, for them hearing it (in advance) from each other, this helps them to know what to look for and help to avoid attrition. After these are discussed, we will move on to possible solutions to these issues. For example, during this activity, perhaps a student identifies that he/she has had car problems and during the solution portion, another student identifies that he/she lives right down the street and may offer a ride...

I like to have students introduce something unique about themselves. I also like to bring in food as we do a group activity. This allows students to relax and see me as approachable

Robert,

I agree. If students understand they are not the only ones struggling with these challenges, it is helpful for them and builds a support system.

Susan Backofen

On the first day of class, I always introduce myself to the students (my profession, my professional organizations, etc). I make a roll call to know their names. I memorized it, so that on the 1st day of class I can call them by their 1st name basis. I found this effective because, they immediately feel connected and belong in the class. Then, I orient them about the module and emphasize the class activities (so there will never be surprises) and their expectations. I found this system more organized and the students become more aware of the classroom activities and look forward to these activities.

Ferdinand

I will welcome the students, and tell them a little about myself. Try and make them feel more connected with me.

One of the first things I do is introduce myself and tell students a little bit about my background and experience. Then I tell them that now that they know a little bit about me then it is time for them to tell me a little bit about themselves and usually that opens the conversation and students feel confortable

As a session connected to our orientation we have an event where students come in for some snacks - they also go to the computer lab - learn their log in - how to check their school email - get their student ID badge, etc so that they feel acclimated to the campus.

It is important for students to know where to go and who to see if they need support. Often it is the case that students do not know where assistance is for them on campus.

A good activity might be to ask students to discuss where the departments are in the building. One example is how to request tutoring sessions. Students do need to speak to the instructor but there are other ways to inform the instructor. The college now understands what the student needs and how the instructor is accommodating them.

Theresa,

Great idea. I have found that the biggest obstacle to students seeking assistance is getting them to the point where they will admit it to someone.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment